CBR1100XX.org Forum

help please!!!!!

frustyd

hello all,

I've posted a couple of times before about either a fuel or electrical issue I've been having. Bike seems to be fine through 1st-3rd, but once in the higher gears it hesitates and sputters, you can even have the throttle wide open and it'll just sit at about 65.....sometimes kicking in sometimes not.

Here is a brief overview. I've rebuilt carbs, new plugs, checked timing, checked vaccuum, and checked petcock. I took it to a shop that had it for 3 weeks. They told me I needed spacers in the carbs. That was done and $300 later, problem still occurred. I decided to take it to the honda dealership. They've had it for 4 weeks. The service manager said the carbs were fine and that it was the stator. He replaced the stator, and took it for a test drive and told me that still has a little hesitation but runs very strong and he needs to sync the carbs. remember, he said it wasn't a "carb issue". i went to pick it up today and he still hadn't synced the carbs. My guess is he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about either. I've decided that no matter what, I'm picking it up tomorrow.

The last thing I could think of was this. The original diaphram(fuel filter) was smashed so I took it out and put generic fuel filters on the lines going onto the carbs. I was thinking that through all this trouble, all i needed to do was replace the diaphram since I've seen a few others have similar problems. Does anyone know if the inline filters are too restrictive at high speeds and rpms to allow enough fuel through and that is the reason they put the diaphram in vs. fuel filters? Or is it an ignition continum module?? No one seems to be able to figure this one out.

Any last suggestions, comments or thoughts would be much appreciated. It looks like Honda's cost is going to be around $600. I just can't believe none of these jokers can diagnose the problem. If I could just get that done, I would do the rest.

Thanks for listening

Go back with the original fuel routing.

Are you saying you still haven't replaced the petcock? If so, then that may be your whole problem. :shock:

Change it, and let us know the results.

Wow, haven't heard from you in a while, thought everything was OK.

Remove the non-factory filters get the factory filter, remove entire petcock,disasemble completely, thouroughly inspect everything, reassemble. Place tank on table with something under it to get it level. Place BOTH fuel hoses in a measureing cup and apply a vacuum to the petcock (sucking on the hose works) with the gas cap closed. Time 1 min. If you can't get a cup of gas something is wrong.

Was the tank ever treated for rust with Kreme?

If the above checks out pull the carbs, dissasemble one at a time, and check everything against the Honda Service Manual. If you don't have one buy one. You've already blown 100 times the cost of it.

BTW: If the bike comes back from service with nothing fixed, WHY PAY FOR IT?? $600 HA!

Get rid of the generic filters, and go back to the stock configuration. Remove and inspect/replace the petcock assembly. Don't pay some asshole hundreds of dollars to do this; you can do it yourself. Then come back and tell us how much better your bike runs, and how good you feel about doing the work yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

How are things going?

Too bad you have so much time and money in a problem that most likely will be something small.

Let us know when you get it running right.