CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wiring loom of DEATH!!!

Big-V316

Hi Guys

I have the bike apart and have checked everyother connection I can can from the tail light to the engine. The only thing that I noticed was that even though the battery cables were not loose they were only hand tight(don't know if that would cause the problem or not). I have also pulled the wiring loom apart ( it was really stuck together). The loom looks clean on the inside and contacts look ok. How can you tell if the loom is bad? Can it be done visualy? I have checked the battery ground and the wiring harness ground to the frame they are both tight. What should I do next?

Thanks Big-V316

The corrosion of the loom is very visible......

In my case you could clearly see the white powder all over the contacts, and deteriation of the wires themselves......

After inspection and cleaning use electrical contactcleaners and preservant on all contacts.

The battery should be connected firmly to work properly. Use some good quality vaseline (non-isolating) for the contacts there.

Also make sure the wiring is routed properly through the bike without any sharp bends. You could find a problem there in the back and, naer the ECU and rear-light. There isn't much room for all the wires and contacts...

Good luck!

B.T.W.: If you had a problem earlier, you need to disconnect the battery for a few seconds to reset the ECU......

The loom looks clean on the inside and contacts look ok. How can you tell if the loom is bad? Can it be done visualy? I have checked the battery ground and the wiring harness ground to the frame they are both tight. What should I do next?

Have you checked the actual earth related set up connector, have a look at the loom fixes thread I've just posted

Alright heres the update. I took the loom apart about two weeks ago and cleaned it with contact cleaner. It honestly did not look that bad but I also didn't pull back the insulation to check the wires themselves. I also used di-electric grease and rerapped it with tape. So far because of stuff going on I have only been able to ride a few times and so far no problem. That is the problem with intermitent electrical glitches, you can't tell when they'll rear their ugly heads.

Thanks for the input guys I will keep you updated.