CBR1100XX.org Forum

Deceleration Vibration/Clunking

Cossi

Okay so, I haven't ridden the bird in a few weeks for more than a mile or 3. I knew it needed a chain adjustment. (and lube, which I still haven't done yet :oops: ) But anyway, So I do a real quick chain adjustment, and take off to work. I take the long way (bout 10 miles)(Normally it is 1.1 miles 8) ) It is very smooth much like I remember it, UNTIL I close the throttle and get me a load of engine braking, or downshift. This I get a strange feeling through the pegs, and a little bit of vibration in the bars. But it feels like something like the chain is hitting something or something of that nature. My first thought is that the rear wheel isn't perfectly straight. So my first question is what is the best way to check and insure that it is straight?

I just don't remember ever feeling this before. So, any ideas, comments, and input is welcome.

TIA

Rick

check the chain for a stiff, sticking link. Had a simular problem, chain had 18K on it but was only half way through the adjuster. As the chain went around the front sproket under load, it would lift and fall, making the noise. I moved each link by hand until I found one that would not move up and down from the next.

I was a chicken shit and changed it. May have been able to B.laster it for a few more miles. Didn't want to risk the health of my pillion on a chain.

I had the same problem when my Bird was new. Close the throttle and you feel a clunking/vibration in the pegs. Stealer replaced the chain and billed me for it. The new chain started to do the same thing. I wd40'd it, then hit it with chain lube and all was good again.

Well, the chain only has just shy of 10K miles on it. I normally am pretty good about lubing it every 3-600, just this time has been a little longer. :oops: Probably 1Kish, give or take. I geuss when I get home, I will give it a WD40 cleaning, and a good lubing, and see if that works. After that, I will then go to the alignment.

I rode it in to work this morning to try to get a better feel for it, and pay very close attention to it, and at speed it isn't that bad, but when I start getting down 20-25mph and below is when I really really feel it. So, I am not sure. But will ride it around a little today (probably a total of 6 miles) and when I get home give it a quick cleaning, and lubing.

I would still check the chain. Put it on the center stand and run through the gears at idle. My chain would move up and down as the bad link came close to the front sproket.

As I said earlier, had 18K but not stretched. What I didn't mention is that I had recently started cleaning and relubing the chain. Using simple green, I think I removed too much lube from the link, and didn't get it dry.

:oops:

Okay folks a little update. I re-arranged the rear wheel a little bit to try to make sure it was perfectly straight. No Love. It did take alot of it out, but not completly like I think it should be.

Rick, I tried the string method, and the string hit the center stand, so that woulnd't let me get an accurate measurement. So What I would like to know is a couple of points I can measure on the back of the bike to assure the rear wheel is straight. I have been using a caliper and measuring from different points but not sure I trust any of them for being perfect. I thought about from the rear of the 'indicator' to the swinger. Again, not sure I trust the consistency, and accuracy.

So, I need another method to assure straightness of the rear wheel.

Any ideas? This is really ridiculous, I have never had this much problems adjusting a chain. How do the rest of you do it?

<shrug> I just use the swingarm alignment notches. No strings, no lasers, just eyeball the notches and make sure they are pretty damn close. Had both wheels off today to the stealership to get tires installed and didn't have any problems once I got everything buttoned back up. Took her for a nice 75 mile ride and felt good as new. I got my method from Tim :twisted: , unless he's changed his method since he showed me how to install a new chain! :lol:

I measure from the center of the swingarm pivot to the center of the axle. A bent coat hangar with a sliding marker (Ty-wrap,, rubber band, etc.) makes it easy.

I made a laser tool, simular to Geoff's. http://www.bikersoracle.com/jaws/waligntool.htm

For the laser, I bought a CHEAP level at a truck sale with a laser in it. Because the laser was not centered in the end of the level, the laser was far enough out to miss the center stand. I put the laser level across the rear tire. The targets had to be wider, for the beam to hit. Used another level to support the targets on the front tire.

Big Lots level for $5.00. I figure the aluminum won't warp in my high humidity.

What I like about the laser tool is that a little bit of misalignment will displace the laser quite a bit. For my old eyes, it just works better than the coat hangar method.

I did go 18K on my first chain, without a laser, using the notches without problem.

One thing I have noticed, when done right, the chain runs centered on the rear sproket. The way my stealer had adjusted it before my chain was damaged, the chain was all the way over to one side.

check the chain for a stiff, sticking link.

Same thing happened here. Chain looked fine, had plenty of lube but still clunked on decel. Replaced the chain and it was gone... when we had the old chain off you could feel the sticking link.