CBR1100XX.org Forum

CCT question.

beondwacko

I be searching some more for this soon enough, but I have one quick question about the Cam Chain Tensioner on the XX. The only experience I have had with a CCT was on my old CB1100F. It needed occasional adjustment, and was a spring loaded unit. Is there any way to adjust the CCT on the XX or is it more of a case that when the chain starts making noise, the unit needs to be replaced? Is it a hydraulic unit or spring pretensioned?

I believe mine has started making some noise ( light ratteling, high pitched metallic sounding, between 2,500 - 5K rpm ) and not that it's gotten any louder recently, I "hear" it more because I'm listening for it more often. If I have to swap it out, it'll be a good excuse to change the plugs as well.

Thanks in advance.

Guest rockmeupto125

You need to replace the unit. There's no mechanism for user adjustment.

There is nearly zero correlation between the work required to change the plugs and the work required to change the CCT. The CCT can be changed in 15 minutes if you are unfamiliar with the task.

Order it from john01XX, your local dealer, servicehonda, ronayers, whatever. All factory supplied CCT's are upgraded at this point. Make sure you get a gasket with it.

I know the plugs have nothing to do with the other, but while I'm in that wrenching mood, I should just do it. I did some searching in the archives and found some really good info along with pics that will make the job that much easier. Actually , I should do the "whole" maintence deal and set a full day aside. CCT,Oil & Filter, coolant change, plugs, clean the K&N, and do the 6mm shim to the rear shock.

Thanks for the info about the inability of adjustment on the factory CCT.

Any quick tips or tricks I should know about that have not been posted about the CCT?

Guest rockmeupto125
Any quick tips or tricks I should know about that have not been posted about the CCT?

Do not pull the key out of the new CCT until its installed.

That would be stupid.

But don't worry. Its a reversible process. If you should be stupid, and do so, in time you and Mr. Pliers will be much, much, smarter than you were.

Thanks for the info. I had also read that in a few old posts that I found this morning. Keep it together untill it's don , then pull the pin......Just like a grenade !! :lol:

BTW IF you do take out the pin first accidently it's not really a big deal, just use a small flat screw driver into the hole and tighten it back up. It's just more of a pain cause you have to old the screw driver from turning as you put it back in.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is to take the little bolt out of the top of the old CCT before you loosen the bolts, it's a pain to get out after it's off the bike.

I have them in stock here in Lauderdale, if you need one.

$30.00 + shipping

Shipping would be cheapest by courier ! John's Courier service will be making a past through Palm Beach County this Sunday, weather permitting ! Front door delivery would only cost about a lunch burger.

Would even be willing to help you install it since it takes all of 7 minutes to do 8)

I just shipped 5 over to England yesterday

John,

I'm in for one please! I had written to you in another post to PM in my direction. What are you up to this Sunday? You're heading up here you wrote in this post , so I guess you have plans & won't be able to go out for a leisure ride. Drop me a line. Cell. 631-680-6166

Adam