CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dead bird again...

Obby

This is the second time the bird died on me in this fashon. First, I have a '97 carb'd bird. I was just getting off the freeway (in the rain both times), as the rev's came down, I the bird didn't want to idle, then eventually died. I tried restarting, with plenty of power, but nothing happened (just kept cranking). I thought it was vapor lock, but it's was not hot out, actually a little cold. After a few minutes, it started back up and and idled fine :? .

Any ideas folks?

Seen similar problems in cars and it was the fuel pump overheating. In-Tank fuel pump cool themselves in the fuel so if the gas is low...

The fact that it happens in the rain makes it sound more like ignition. LT-1's have the distributor in the bottom front of the motor and if it got water in a crack mine would idle erratically then stumble and die. Good plug wires/boots?

Vacuum hose to diaphragm collapsed under increased vacuum when you decelerated shutting off fuel to carbs.

In other words...you bike Sucks!!

Sell it.

:D

Are you low on fuel when this happens??

Almost has to be a fuel problem as far as I can think...

Are you coasting down, or stopping hard? Around a bend, or straight?

Mike

I was taking a freeway off ramp, both times slowing down 1/8 throttle when it happened.

Keep twisting the throttle, but the engine just boggs like I'm out of gas.

THis time, I opened the gas cap and used the choke to get it running again. Still had to wait 2 minutes before I could get it going. Then it idle'd fine :roll:

ps. Full tank of gas.

Check your main wiring harness for corrosion at the connections. It seems like some of the bikes over in the sunny UK had some issues with that. I'm not sure if that only applies to FI bikes or not though.

Check your main wiring harness for corrosion at the connections. It seems like some of the bikes over in the sunny UK had some issues with that. I'm not sure if that only applies to FI bikes or not though.

I think that was the FI bikes only. That problem was when the FI light goes on and off, then the bike won't start I believe. Thanks though.

I think that was the FI bikes only. That problem was when the FI light goes on and off, then the bike won't start I believe. Thanks though.

Yeah? Well fuck you then.

:D:D:D

I figured your thread could use some more attention. :twisted:

My buddy Mike had a very simalar problem with his 98XX. Fuel petcock diaphram. Same symptoms. Pull the vaccum hose below #2 carb on the cylinders and the fuel line. Suck--check for flow.

My buddy Mike had a very simalar problem with his 98XX. Fuel petcock diaphram. Same symptoms. Pull the vaccum hose below #2 carb on the cylinders and the fuel line. Suck--check for flow.

Ok, although I find giving the bird a blow-job offensive to my nature, I did it anyways :wink: . Air flow through all the vacuum hoses seemed free.

Update:

I drove the bird home in about the same riding conditions. I ran her hard and easy (1/8th throttle) to see if I could reproduce the issue. No stalls at all.

Since this problem has me completely baffled, I replace the petcock assembly altogether. One thing I noticed during my inspection is that the previous owner had all the smog devices removed (cali smog restriction stuff). Vacuum lines were plugged, re-routed and a K&N filter was installed for #1 and #2 vacuum lines off the carbs, #3 was plugged (removing the cali smog stuff may be part of the problem). In any case, I cleaned and moved the K&N breather filter to a cooler location. After all, it was sitting on top of the middle of the gearbox, which gets really hot. I also re-ran two of the gas tanks breather lines farther off the engine (one of the breather lines was melted, but not closed).

I sure hope this does it as the problem only arises on the humid, rainy days :? . Still not sure why that is?

Ps. Dickhead (RichardCranium) wrote:

Well, fuck you then...

I only have one thing to say to that remark...

Thanks for bumping my thread :iloveyou: