CBR1100XX.org Forum

Carb Sync'ing

v00d00child

So I'm finally getting around to reassebling my bike after the jet kit insertion (geez, 2 weeks ago). Bought a set of mercury sticks, and thinking I'm now an expert, set out to stitch this puppy back together.

:shock:

How the HELL is anyone supposed to reach ANYTHING under the tank? Is it acceptable to do a carb sync with the air filter housing off? Can I sue Honda when I burn all my fingers off trying to tweek the mixture screws? I already have a knot on my noggin from trying to get a peek at everything & bashing into the frame.

Any advice on how to do this, or is this a definite dealer-do?

TIA

chad

Yes you can sync. without the airbox, I have never found a way to do it with it on. Just hook up a fuel source, warm the engine, and go to it.

the pilot screws I couldn't adjust without removing the carb. bank. If only because I wanted to be sure all screws were equal. 2 1/2 turns out.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

OK, now that is funny! lol hahahahahahaha

I thougfht the same thing when I smashed my fuckin head on my frame the first time! lol :oops:

How the hell is anyone supposed to reach ANYTHING under the tank? Is it acceptable to do a carb sync with the air filter housing off? Can I sue Honda when I burn all my fingers off trying to tweek the mixture screws? I already have a knot on my noggin from trying to get a peek at everything & bashing into the frame.

Pete-

Good answer. As it turns out, I AM an expert. :wink:

All carbs bounced around 20" Hg. Geez, the 1-2 adjusting screw is impossible to reach, no matter where you try to access it from. Honda must have a dog-legged tool to reach it.

Wanting to end the nite on a high note, I claimed victory & decided to mess with the mixture screws next episode. I set mine at 2 1/4 turns out. I know, I'm sitting the fence... Why can't we all be friends???

L8r

chad

>How the HELL is anyone supposed to reach ANYTHING

>under the tank?

Do what I did. Go an buy a very long and thin straighthead

screwdriver. Then take a grinder and make the blade end

even thinner.

I've done this and can actually reach the 1-2 screw. The

2-3 screw and 3-4 screw are easy to reach with the airbox

on (and taking it off risks getting junk down into the cyl.)

Warm up the bike then kill it. Stick the ground screw

driver in and use a flashlight to see until you get the

blade into the screw.

Then start the bike and let it run as you sync. nos. 1-2.

After done, kill the motor.

Then put the screwdriver on the 3-4 screw and start it

up. Now adjust 3-4.

Then keep it running and sync 1-2 & 3-4 with the center

screw. After that, you're done.

I was able to do it with just the fuel left in the carbs and

no tank connected the last time.

Just be careful, and make VERY fine adjustments on the

screws. Turn it too much, too quick and you may foul

a plug (like I did the first time ..)

:cool: TJ :cool:

Is it acceptable to do a carb sync with the air filter housing off? Can I sue Honda when I burn all my fingers off trying to tweek the mixture screws? I already have a knot on my noggin from trying to get a peek at everything & bashing into the frame.

Any advice on how to do this, or is this a definite dealer-do?

TIA

chad

Hey Chad,

How are the ceramic coated headers working out? Are you still happy with them? Any pro's or con's you could share with the group?

Jim-

Ceramic coated headers? I have them?? Oh yeah--I fade in & out of consciousness ever since banging my melon dozens of times on the freakin frame...

I can't quantify anything, but I can say that they still look good (think a little shiny stuff here & there is good for the otherwise stealthy bird), I don't notice my legs frying if I get caught at a long light, and the most the temp gauge has seen is the halfway point.

The coating is amazingly tough. I used some automotive muffler fiberglass strips as a gasket for a set of slipons I bought on the board, and when I wanted to swap back to the blue flames, couldn't get some of the glass to come off easily. Wound up using a light file to grind it off. Coating didn't seem to care one bit.

Was it worth 100 bucks? I'd say so. I like the twin muffler look on the bird, and couldn't find a 4-2 system I liked. I've spent more on stuff I liked less. Supposedly, coating will make the header act "shorter", and might slide some torque down a little lower in the rpm band. Hopefully I'll get her on a dyno someday soon, although I never baselined, so results will be corn-fused. Oh well, as long as she keeps running...

L8r