CBR1100XX.org Forum

Swingarm Movement?

HamrTym

Round 2:

Next question, the Rear Swingarm:

My swingarm 'appears' to have shifted to the left by about 1/4 or so of an inch. By the naked eye, there seems to be no bends/defects in the swingarm. Then again, I don't have SuperMan X-ray vision. Is it possible for the swingarm to have shifted to the left on swingarm pivot bolt. Or am I just in denial of major damage. Any experience/input would be great. Thanks ya'll.

Rob

P.S. Will post apparent damage soon. I finding some new and interesting crap.

I'll give you $50 for the bike. No questions asked...

Or, you can rebuild the the swingarm and bushings for $45.

My way you make $5. Let me know, I have cash.

So what are you eyeballing it against to see that?

If it's the exaust, THAT"S whats probably bent along with the bracket and subframe.

If your swingarm or its mounting bearings are bent you've got more trouble coming.

You might want a shop to check it out.

I'm using the rear fender as a reference point. When standing directly behind the bike, the left sidewall of the tire appears flush the end of the rear fender. The right sidewall has about a 1/4 or so of an inch gap between the fender and sidewall, by line of sight. I know that is not the best of methods, just trying to assess the damgae.

From the damage, the bike looks like it was picked up, turned sideways, and slammed on its right side. The crankcase cover is pushed inward, but barely scratched. The yoshi muffler can was crushed at the front end cap and pushed into the swingarm. The lower mounting bolt at the right foot peg broke the aluminum mounting tab. The swingarm is scractched from the impact with the muffler.

I assume that if the rear subframe was bent, it would be to the left, making the tire 'appear' to be sitting to the right of the center of the mudflap/fender. Then again, what do I know :) . First time puttin' a bike down :? . Thanks for the help guys (and gals).

Rob

The subframe is waaaay more likely to be bent than the swingarm.

As far as the swingarm moving back and forth on the pivot bolt, pretty much impossible unless something is seriously wrong.

You might want to check if there's a Computrack or similar service available in you area.

As far as the swingarm moving back and forth on the pivot bolt, pretty much impossible unless something is seriously wrong.

This type of movement comes from the shock's ball joint in the upper mounting point.

Upper mounting point is not a ball joint, and even if it was I fail to see how that would allow the swingarm to move side to side.

No side to side but up and down movement. Since the balljoint works in all 3 axes, if you put a big spanner in the r/wheel axle bolt (with the bike on the c/stand) and apply some force, you can see and feel swingarm movement.

Notin a brand new shock, but after some mileage all the ball joints are creating some tolerance. If it is excessive it is time to replace the ball joint.

The up and down some times can fool you.

As far as the location of the b/joint I might get confused with my other bikes, but I will check it, still I remember it on the top.

Upper mounting point is not a ball joint, and even if it was I fail to see how that would allow the swingarm to move side to side.

No side to side but up and down movement. Since the balljoint works in all 3 axes, if you put a big spanner in the r/wheel axle bolt (with the bike on the c/stand) and apply some force, you can see and feel swingarm movement.

Notin a brand new shock, but after some mileage all the ball joints are creating some tolerance. If it is excessive it is time to replace the ball joint.

The up and down some times can fool you.

As far as the location of the b/joint I might get confused with my other bikes, but I will check it, still I remember it on the top.

The closest thing to a ball joint in the rear suspension is the heim joint built into the top of the shock. And unlike a ball joint the movement is quite limited.

There is no ball joint on the rear suspension of the XX. No heim joint, either.

Really.

Even if there was, I'll say again that it wouldn't allow side to side movement- the shock is not what keeps the swingarm aligned. The swingarm is held quite rigid (in the side to side axis) by its forward mounting point between the frame spars. If it has any detectable movement side to side, you've got a bearing problem in the swingarm pivot.

Really.

Even if there was, I'll say again that it wouldn't allow side to side movement- the shock is not what keeps the swingarm aligned. The swingarm is held quite rigid (in the side to side axis) by its forward mounting point between the frame spars. If it has any detectable movement side to side, you've got a bearing problem in the swingarm pivot.

I agree wit your statement about the movement... And it's my bad about the heim joint statement... It's the Duc that has a heim joint in one of it's shock's eyelets...

Ok, maybe it is my fault regarding terminology and it is not called ball joint.

It is not a ball joint like the one cars have in their steering arms anyway, but it is sphere with a hole in the middle where the bolt goes through. The sphere itself allows 360deg movement with pivot point its center.

So, do you mean that the shock is rigidly mounted in both ends?

So, do you mean that the shock is rigidly mounted in both ends?

No. I mean that there's no ball or heim joint in the rear suspension of the XX. There's a collar with roller bearings, top and bottom. Maybe you should go take a look at your bike before we continue this?

Back to the original topic- it doesn't matter. The shock could be mounted with wet noodles and it still wouldn't allow side to side movement, which is what was originally being discussed here.

I just checked my OEM shock (which is sitting in a box) and..... no ball or heim joints,just needle bearings. :oops:

However, I do remember that my WP shock -a much more expensive unit- has a ball (or whatever, anybody with a dirtbike knows what I mean) joint on the top.

Hence my confusion...