CBR1100XX.org Forum

Changed my brakes pads (Pics)

RDosdorian

I am posting this for two reasons:

1. To give you guys a distributer for brake pads at a pretty decent price (I think)

2. I ran into a little problem once the pads were removed.

Ok... here goes. I was going to wait and do this job over the weekend, but I didn't have much to do this morning. So, I decided to take a shot at it. Got both fronts and reat done in 25 minutes. I was pretty happy with that time. It pays to have a father who is a mechanic. I have all his tools at my disposal.

When I was originally asking about brakes, I was advised that Whitebuffalo.com (or something like that was the best price. They wanted $28.50 per set plus $8.00 shipping. Since I am also a Goldwing owner (The GL1800 and CBR1100XX use the same pads), I went to Honda Direct Line http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/b...=4&ID=360408174

I bought the same EBC FA261HH Pads for $29.98 shipped.

I started with the right front. No problem. Next came the left front. Here is what I found on the Left Front Pad. Its a little hard to see, but the pads are not wearing equally. They are down to the "squeeler" on one side of the pad and in good shape on the other.

normal_IMG_0129.JPG

from another angle

normal_IMG_0131.JPG

So now I am hoping the caliper is working correctly. The rest of the brakes appear to be worn about 50%. I do not know if the brakes have ever been replaced. The bike currently has 14490 on it.

The rear had no issues.

So... should I be concerned?

- Ray

Good choice on where to buy the Pads from !!

Did you pick up a set of the "Awesome Ears" while you were shopping at Directline ??

There are right done the street from me and the owners are good personal friends of mine.

I don't know the answer to your Pad problem sorry.

This wear pattern is very common on the left side. I think Warchild was the first one to post this issue. I found the same, on my bike. i was down to the metal on one pad on the left front. :shock:

Mine were the same way. According to my Honda manual it says when you apply the rear brake the rear brake and front left kick in first.

This is from page 21-5 in the 97 - 98 manual

Delay valve

The delay valve positioned between the brake pedal master cylinder and the center pistons of the frnt calipers, the delay valve engages only the left front caliper at first, effectively reducing the initial front wheel braking force

That is why the front left wears faster.

Here's a copy of the page, larger version is in my gallery

normal_delay%20valve.jpg

When in doubt RTFM.

Or post here :lol:

Mine were the same way. According to my Honda manual it says when you apply the rear brake the rear brake and front left kick in first.

This is from page 21-5 in the 97 - 98 manual

Delay valve

The delay valve positioned between the brake pedal master cylinder and the center pistons of the frnt calipers, the delay valve engages only the left front caliper at first, effectively reducing the initial front wheel braking force

That is why the front left wears faster.

Here's a copy of the page, larger version is in my gallery

normal_delay%20valve.jpg

When in doubt RTFM.

Or post here :lol:

Looks like a great catch on that one. Makes me wonder if the delay valve is malfunctioning or if it's "working as designed"???

-Obby

IMHO working just fine. If the rider uses rear brake only or most of the time the front left will wear with the rear.

I freaked when I saw mine like that so I went to the bible and calmed myself down. I very rarely hit the rear so I'll report back in 25,000 miles 8)

The OEM pads seem to wear like this on most XX's, and probably due to the secondary master on top of the left caliper.

Aftermarket pads don't wear the same way. My stockers were down to steel at one end (LF) by 12K, but my EBC's were less than half worn in almost 25K, and had worn evenly.

FWIW, I finally replaced my first set of stock rear pads @ 30K, with some life still remaining.

FWIW, I finally replaced my first set of stock rear pads @ 30K, with some life still remaining.

As I said, with the exception of the front left, my brakes looked to be in good shape (probably about 50% or more left), but I really wasn't happy with the stock pads. The brakes felt a bit weak. I have heard that the Double H's give better stopping power. Plus, I like running the same equipment front and back. And hey... for $90.00 I will just do it all at once and be done with it for a while.

I have heard that the Double H's give better stopping power.  Plus, I like running the same equipment front and back.  And hey... for $90.00 I will just do it all at once and be done with it for a while.

As long as you aren't a very aggressive rider, IMO.

The EBC's work great, but I only ever installed them on the front. I prefer the stock rears over anything aftermarket, and replaced my worn OEM's with a new set. The stock fronts were a little mushy, but the stock rears are a perfect amount of grip, and very predictable.

Under hard, high speed braking, the back end is already wagging enough, without additional bite from aftermarket pads. Upgrading the front pads while leaving the rears stock is my way of giving the LBS a little more front end bias, and I'm happy with it.

Plus, like I already stated, I got 30K from my rear stockers. Plenty enough life for brake pads in my books.

There is no squealer on bike brakes. the first squel you'll hear will be you when you see the gouges in your rotor.

I'm still rotating my EBC pads on the front to keep wear even.

Keep using your front brakes, it's still 80 to 100% of your braking power.

I knew I was not down to metal, but I was hearing a squeeling sound.  I am wondering if the caliper is operating correctly.

I have the exact same thing going on... the squealing is just horrible, it sounds like metal on metal.

15K on the stock pads.... and I'm going with a set of EBC HH's all the way around... that I got from Louie (Partmonster), I'ld rather help another board member out whenever possible... and I hear he's a great guy. Cost is so close after you add in the shipping it doesn't matter where you buy them from.... so I'ld rather go with someone I know or can trust.

I'ld rather help another board member out whenever possible... and I hear he's a great guy. Cost is so close after you add in the shipping it doesn't matter where you buy them from.... so I'ld rather go with someone I know or can trust.

I agree completely. At the time I was purchasing, I went with a person I had delt with before HAL over at Honda Direct is a great guy. He does a great deal with the Goldwing community. Being a member here and there, it was a no brainer.

I tend to use my front brakes more than the rear anyway.  Right or Wrong... it works for me.

LBS means the rear is applied no matter what you do, and that's the cause of the problem.

Rather than de-link, I've gone to better (more grippy) front pads, and left the rears stock for more front bias.

FWIW, I hardly ever use my rear brake, either.

• 3 weeks later...
I tend to use my front brakes more than the rear anyway.  Right or Wrong... it works for me.

Very right for many reasons. In another post perhaps.

Dameon