CBR1100XX.org Forum

MRA Variotouringscreen

blkbrdrydr

I've been informed that a Touring Lip is not available from Laminar that fits a 2001 windscreen. (I've yet to find out what the damn difference is between the 2001 and 2002 screens that prevents the Lip from fitting on a 2001 but Laminar assures me that it won't fit on my bike)

Therefore, I've been looking into the MRA Variotouringscreen.

Anybody using one?

I've been informed that a Touring Lip is not available from Laminar that fits a 2001 windscreen. (I've yet to find out what the damn difference is between the 2001 and 2002 screens that prevents the Lip from fitting on a 2001 but Laminar assures me that it won't fit on my bike)

That seems very strange. The Touring Lip uses the top bolts of windshield and 2 3M dot velcro pads on each side toward the top of shield on outside edges. Laminar supplies the longer bolts/nuts and a good supply of 3M dot velcro pads. There is some flex in Touring Lip when sticking on the 3M dots on oem shield.

I thought 01-03 shields the same shape and height. It would be interesting why Laminar says it won't fit on '01.

BTW, it's does a great job.

I thought 01-03 shields the same shape and height. It would be interesting why Laminar says it won't fit on '01.

Don't know. I was on the phone with them for quite a while and they assured me that they had tried to fit that Lip to a 2001 and it wouldn't fit.

So... since there doesn't seem to be anyone on the list that installed on on a 2001 and since I don't want to order something that might not fit, I'll just go with the MRA.

I have the MRA VarioTouring Screen on my '97... no pics yet. I put it on the week before NEXXT for the trip. I love it... it can look kinda gay, mucho touring, very little sportbike like.

That being said, I love it. I can sit straight upright in my seat up to 100 MPH... leaning back completely with my left hand on my thigh, very relaxed. I'm 6'2". With the spoiler in the next to highest position, there's next to no buffeting of my head, and my helmet doesn't get pushed back at all by the breeze until about 120 MPH.

The only time there is buffeting is when riding two up and we go over 90.

As for the bars, dunno yet. If it would stop raining I'd be able to get the VFR bars I got on eBay onto the bike and could tell ya.

BTW, when I got it from Twisted Throttle, then didn't ask me about bars, and I didn't specify anything other than the model and year of my bird.

Ben