CBR1100XX.org Forum

Laminar Lip now MRA VarioTouringScreen

blkbrdrydr

Is anyone using the Touring version of the Laminar Lip?

I was interested in ordering one but I wanted to know if anyone had specific experience with the Touring version.

Additionally, Laminar shows that the Touring model is only available to fit the 2002 and 2003 windscreen but I always thought that the 2001-2003 were the same windscreen. What possible difference is there between the 2001 and 2002 windscreens?

Hey, watch it, that's mine, i have very sensitive feelings and my mommy always said, o never mind...

How fast have you gone with it on? Also I have an aftermarket GIVI screen, your picture makes it look like it attaches via the fairing area and no the shield.

The touring lip uses both the fairing and shield. The top fairing / shield bolt and two (2) 3M dot stickies on upper part of shield on both sides.

How fast have you gone with it on?

I told told my mommy never more than +5, but in reality i had 'er up to about 140 indicated w no problem a couple times, regularly troll up to 110 indicated, very smooth and no turbelance..

The people at Laminar were absolutely, positively, certain that 1998-2001 windscreens are the same and that the Laminar Touring Lip would only fit a 2002-2003 windscreens.

They claimed that they had even tried to install the Touring Lips on a few 2001 models and they would not fit since the 2001 screen was different than the 2002-2003 screens.

I came up with a really simple answer to my original question... I bought a MRA VarioTouringScreen instead.

It arrived today, is installed, and I can't wait to try it out.

Usual excellent service and prompt delivery from www.twistedthrottle.com

In case anyone is interested, I installed the "standard width" VarioTouringScreen and there is plenty of clearance for the VTEC VFR bars that are sitting on top of GenMar Risers.

normal_MRA%20Side%20View.JPG

I came up with a really simple answer to my original question... I bought a MRA VarioTouringScreen instead.

Hey Bill, is the MRA moulded is such a way that the the edges of the screen are flush with the fairing panels, kinda like the stocker is???

Hey Bill, is the MRA moulded is such a way that the the edges of the screen are flush with the fairing panels, kinda like the stocker is???

Damn near nicer fit than the OEM screen. For closeups, go to my Gallery. Also, what looks like marks of some kind at the lower right-hand side of the screen is actually the reflection of stamped product identification stuff from MRA

There are six different positions for that wing. I've shown the lowest and the highest ones in the photos.

thumb_MRA%20front%20(low)~0.JPG

thumb_DSCN0468.JPG

thumb_DSCN0467.JPG

thumb_DSCN0466.JPG

Dayum Sam!!! Me likes! OK... Who wants to buy a virtually new (used for one ride) Airblade smoke windscreen???

Have you been able to put it to the test yet???

Zat a clear screen? Damn it looks good!

Dayum Sam!!! Me likes! OK... Who wants to buy a virtually new (used for one ride) Airblade smoke windscreen???

Have you been able to put it to the test yet???

Zat a clear screen? Damn it looks good!

It's smoke, not clear.

At 70 mph, in the lowest position, the airflow hits my chest in approximately the same area as the OEM screen but the flow is far smoother. In the highest position, the airflow hits just above my visor and is also quite smooth. Ducking down slightly, eliminates almost any air from hitting my helmet at all.

Interestingly, there was almost no air hitting my shoulders and hardly any hitting my hands. I was riding on the freeways in 55 degree temps and my hands stayed warm wearing 3-season Olympia gloves.

I'm 5'9" but my Russell Day-Long saddle is probably an inch or so higher than the OEM seat.

It didn't turn the XX into a Goldwing but I'm happy with the results so far.

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info Bill... I just got mine installed this afternoon and took it out for a quick 50 mile blast. You're right about the smoother airflow and I'm happy to report that when it's set at it's highest setting the flow is still smooth well into the triple digits... :lol:

I was searching for info on windshields and saw that you used to have a Givi. How does the MRA compare to the GIVI? I have Givi windshield, Heli Bars and am 5' 11 The wind hits me around the lower Chin part of my helmet. The cold windblast is right at my neck. I have a stock screen but have never ridden with it to compare.

For my height ( 5' 9" ), sitting on a Russell seat, and having VFR bars on top of GenMar Risers.... the MRA is FAR BETTER than the Givi. With the wing fully raised, the airflow hits me just above my helmet visor and by lowering my head just an inch or so, there's no wind at all.

For me, the Givi had far too much buffeting and I hated how the air hit my shoulders and where it hit me near my neck. I preferred the OEM to the Givi since the air was smoother but the MRA is better than either of them, for my size, for my bike set up, and for the way that I ride.