CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wheel alignment, what am I missing.

redxxrdr

I blew it, had the stealer install my last rear and did not verify my alignment. Now my 18k chain has a kink so I am changing it and sprokets.

I made a version of this laser tool, http://www.bikersoracle.com/jaws/waligntool.htm

But I keep hitting the beam on the center stand. Shifting the beam up hits the covers, down gives very little seperation of the beams on the rear tire.

The string method hits the stand also.

Laser does show that the stealer was way off, and I know I can do better.

I have thought about parallel lasers, one to position on the rear, and one to hit the target for the front. I have also seen production versions in catalogs that use two lasers and targets to site both sides at once. For $1200.00 this too can be yours.

Have any of you made these tools, and can you point me to where I am being stupid?

My favorite is a coat hanger with a small tie wrap on it.

kinda like this...

_______+___________________________]

The plus sign is the tie wrap. take the hooked end and insert it into either the axle or the swingarm. Use the tie wrap to mark the distance and then move it to the other side of the bike...

My favorite is a coat hanger with a small tie wrap on it.  

kinda like this...

_______+___________________________]

The plus sign is the tie wrap. take the hooked end and insert it into either the axle or the swingarm. Use the tie wrap to mark the distance and then move it to the other side of the bike...

+1

Cheap and acurate enough for me.