CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ford truck problem..any ideas?

JB4XX

Four days ago my wife tells me the A/C quit in our 97 Expedition. It has front and rear air. I checked it the nexxt morning and found that the compressor was engaging but the fan motor was not coming on. I told her that it is probably a fuse/the fan motor/or the switch. She came home from work that day saying the fan didnt work at first, but started to work on her way to work.

Two days later she comes home and asks me if I disconnected the battery. She said all of her radio stations pre-sets were gone. She also said both the front and rear blowers were out along with the rear wiper. I tell her to drive the car before she finds her truck burning in the parking lot at work.

This morning I get home and start checking fuses. They are all good. The front blower still doesnt work but the rear air fan and rear wiper work again :roll: I have also noticed as she starts it for the first split second, it acts like the battery is low for just a partial second then turns over fine and starts right up.

Can a old/low battery cause problems with the entire electrical system? Maybe a bad ground? Just thought I would post this up in case anyone with an Expedition/F150 might have dealt with this before.

I'd go out and check on it more right now, but she wont leave it at home for one day. :roll: I'll be working on it this weekend unless I disconnect the battery tonight :twisted:

Battery problem? NO. Ground problem? YES.

Sounds like you have a maior ground fault on the interior of your truck. Did you add any farkels lately? You probably have at least 3 different ground locations under your dash area, take them all off and clean them.

If you want I will find all your ground locations when I go to work Friday and get back 2 u.

On a side note, check your battery connections and charging system for output. If your battery is more than 4-5 years old cehck it for capacity also.

Dave

We bought it three years ago so the battery is at least three years old. It has just over 100k on it. I will probably replace the battery this weekend as I know it wont make it through the winter anyway. Last winter she sat in a parking lot waiting for her mom with lights and radio on for a half hour and had to get a jump :roll:

It would really help knowing where these grounds are. Post them up when you find the info and it will save me a ton of time this weekend!

BTW..no farkles added recently.

Tim,

I only live an hour away. It hasnt rained much lately but we did have it parked outside for a few days while I worked on a couple bikes in the garage for friends.

My wife keeps telling me her truck is "mad" at us for parking it outside and it will get better now that she is using the garage again. :roll: :roll: :roll: