CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rivet Master Link?

Obby

Thanks Matey. Nice pic. Unfortunately, I think I have a clip type and missing the clip :shock: . Mine has the clip guides on it and doesn't appear to be shroomed like that pic'd riveted one. Do you know if the rivet type have those guides for the retaining clip?

If I remember correctly, the last chain I put on had little grooves in it for the clip, even tho it was a rivet type master link. If you think it's loose, try wedging a screwdriver in the link and try to pop the sideplate off. You'll likely notice any movement.

Is it the original chain?

Actually, It's a DID 530ZVMG (came with the bird). When I was trying to unkink a link and clean the chain, I noticed the master link look loose. I grabbed a pair of channel locks and squeezed the sideplate on the link against it's counterpart to see if I could tighten it back down. It moved inwards a bit (tighten up) and exposed the grooves, that's what made me begin to wonder. :?

It may go together as you described, as it compresses the sealing o-rings. All you're really worried about is if it comes off the pins. Since it's the OE chain it's endless and shouldn't have an actual master link and shouldn't give you any problems.

However it does sound like it's time to replace it.

First, Thanks for all your recommendations.

After looking at all the major chains and manufacturers, I decide to try the EK 530ZZZ X110 chain (in chrome 8) , my favorite). This model had a hole punched out of the middle as to keep it cooler and lighter. They say it's even stronger with some 11,000 tensile strength. Anyways, I'll snap some pics when I get it on.

Ultra-Strong

Using the latest computer modeling tools, EK engineers analyzed in detail the shape of conventional chain sideplates. Using this data, they developed a revolutionary new shape that more effectively distributes the loads on the sideplate. The result is a major increase in the ZZZ’s tensile strength without added weight.

zzzplate.gif

The optimized sideplate shape of the 530ZZZ (outlined in red) is both stronger and lighter than a conventional chain sideplate (blue).

Lightweight

Lightening holes in the center of the inner and outer sideplates reduce the ZZZ’s overall weight by the equivalent of at least one chain link, without compromising tensile strength. These holes also help extend the ZZZ’s service life by dissipating heat and helping evacuate mud and dirt.

Zero Stretch Technology

EK’s exclusive Zero Stretch Technology reduces chain stretch to near zero in the first 600 miles (1000km) of use. Not only does this eliminate the nuisance of a 600-mile chain adjustment, but also helps minimize excessive sag throughout the chain’s entire service life. EK Zero Stretch Technology is standard on the 530ZZZ, and optional on the 520RXO and all MVXZ series chains.

zzzcomparo.gif

530ZZZ Compared To Other “Premium†530 Chains

After looking at all the major chains and manufacturers, I decide to try the EK 530ZZZ X110 chain (in chrome 8) , my favorite). This model had a hole punched out of the middle as to keep it cooler and lighter. They say it's even stronger with some 11,000 tensile strength. Anyways, I'll snap some pics when I get it on.

I have a little over 2000 miles on mine... Zero stretch so far. Mine's the gold color.

Kinda spendy compared to the DID 530ZVM, but sounds promising. Chrome, you say? :eyebrows:

Where did you get yours? Hopefully, mine will last through this winter, but I'll be needing one in the not-so-distant future.

I got it from Parts411.com for $135 bones. First time I ordered from them. So far, so good. They left me a voicemail to let me know that had a backorder on my rivet master link until November and wanted to know what I'd like to do :( . When I called them back, they said to hold on and let'm see if they could find it somewhere else...and did (yeah).

I was actually really happy with my DID chain, but once I saw the good specs on the EK I figured that I'd give'm a shot (once). Not to mention... IT"S CHROME (BLING!!!) Ya know... CHROME (BLING!!!) just like most of the rest of my bird now. Gonna have to wear sun glasses just to get close to her soon (BLING!!). Just need the spinner wheels now :roll:

Have a good weekend all!

BLING!!! I'm outta here 8) .

After looking at all the major chains and manufacturers, I decide to try the EK 530ZZZ X110 chain (in chrome 8) , my favorite).  This model had a hole punched out of the middle as to keep it cooler and lighter.  They say it's even stronger with some 11,000 tensile strength.  Anyways, I'll snap some pics when I get it on.

I have a little over 2000 miles on mine... Zero stretch so far. Mine's the gold color.

Got over 13K on mine with the big bore, and very seldom needs adjusting. The master link went bad, however (probably an installation error), and tore up my rear sprocket on me (aluminum).

Replaced the bad section with the piece I had leftover with no more issues.