CBR1100XX.org Forum

Suspensions, where to start.

redxxrdr

Hi all,

I am new to this site.

I have read back quite a ways and see many questions and thoughts about upgrading the suspension.

My question is can anyone guide me to doccumentation on what to do and define some of the terms. I am fair with a wrench, but the XX is my first sport bike in 20 years. We didn't have all the adjustments in my old Kal 1000 days and I want to learn and do it right the first time. Most of my riding is in the Southeast. Lot's of straight (yuk) roads with a few trips to Deals Gap or Hw 180 into Suches each year. At 220lbs, I bottom the front and probably push the limits. Please pass along the names of any manuals or magazines that would provide guidance. I know you can make anything work if money is no object. Unfortunately that is not how I live.

Thank You,

Redxxrdr

When I did my plugs this weekend I decided to try out the 6mm spacers on the rear shock. I managed 5mm from what I could scrounge up in the garage and used the grinder so I could just slip them on. Took me 10 minutes. WOW !!! I noticed the difference right away. I’m about 190 BTW and I ride with the full GIVI setup all the time.

Try this first; don’t wait as long as I did.

marty

Compared to most current sportbikes, there are not a lot of adjustments for you to make.

The only adjustments on a stock blackbird suspension is spring preload and rebound damping.

Front preload is done by replacing the stock spring spacer with one of a different length. At the rear, there is a threaded collar that you can adjust, but it's a bitch to adjust while on the bike. Proper preload will let the bike sag about 1/4 th. of it's total travel when you are sitting on the bike in your riding gear. (or around 30 mm)

You can also play with ride height some in order to quicken up the steering. You can lower the front by sliding the fork tubes up in the triple clamps. At the rear, you can add a spacer between the top of the shock, and the mounting crossmember. I would be careful about adding more than a 6mm shim to the rear. I personally do not like lowering the front of the bike, as you may start scraping your fairings when you corner hard.

I found that the BlackBird is undersprung on both ends. It also has too much compression damping. These problems are not easily resolved. You will need to turn to the aftermarket for heavier springs in the front. A revalve kit will fix the compression damping problems. At the rear, I would just dump the stock shock and buy an aftermarket replacement. (Penske or Ohlins are the two biggest sellers)

Thank You,

I have also found some web sites discussing SAG measurement and adjustment. I now have a place to start. Hope to hear from Racetec about progressive springs.