CBR1100XX.org Forum

the question for the elder type gods

kg4fku

I've been reading the ST1300 forum about thier vibration issues. They state that the 1300 manual gives them an adjustment procedure for the counter balancers. does the bird have such a procudure. If so how does one do it. I don't currently own a manual but I want one. I have the electronic version but I prefer paper to read. (easier not to get lost). Anyway they all claim vibrations in the mid rev range (not unlike our birds when the CCT goes bad) then they adjust these balancers and all is right with the world.

Just a question for the times to tickle the brain.....

thanks in advance......

well mine does have a slight vibration when in the 4000 rpm range. I'm replacing the CCT (if it ever comes in) and hopefully it will eliminate this. When I got it it was as smooth as silk. Now it kind has a loose feeling. Hard to explain really. Rattle (marble noise). I know it is a chain flopping around. I've worked on to many cars not to know that sound. I just wanted to know if there is (or isn't) an adjustment for our bikes like the st1300. A little fine tuning if you will. Oh my bike is still smoother than my buddies Hayabusa. I about lost my gloves riding it.

... Section 12, pages 22-23; one may only adjust the backlash on the rear balancer idle gearshaft, the rear balancer shaft, and the front balancer shaft - and that's done "by ear", motor running at normal operating temp. You are trying to distinguish between gear interface "whine and rattle". You may make minute rotational adjustments (only a few degrees) to the shafts to achieve a "happy spot" with neither sound evident.

There does not appear to be any way to otherwise "adjust" the counterbalancers. The preceeding pages of this chapter describe removal and re-installation; and the conterbalancer assemblies are "factory fixed" - the only variation is three different available balance weights which is determined upon final assembly (and blueprinting) of the engine. Maybe that's why these motors are so smooth... despite our inherent weakness to the temptation to "improve" and tinker with perfection.. :wink: