CBR1100XX.org Forum

That danged centrestand

bonox

My correctly adjusted chain (with a 6mm shock shim i might add), drags on the centrestand when on the sidestand, and only clears by a little when I sit on the bike.

A couple of times when putting the thing on the centrestand I got an impression that I might have been bending the footpress leg of the stand - which might explain the current situation - I bend it out and to the left, causing the left side of the stand that sits on the ground to hit the chain because the whole shebang now sits much higher before hitting the stop.

Am i deluding myself here? Has anyone else seen/had this problem?

the chain has the correct slack for though - shouldn't matter if it is shagged or not - i'm not moving. No rust colour on the wheel, and correctly adjusted i'm barely into the green on the swingarm marks with an oem chain and sprockets. I'm just confused!

Did you heighten the rear of the bike with a ring on the shock (or any other way)?

In that case, when you have the bike on the centerstand the rear wheel is lower. That means the chain should be given more slack than normal, because otherwise it will be too tight under load.

Yes, it will touch your centerstand when it is on the sidestand, but it will not touch the centerstand when you are sitting on the bike. Ask a friend to check when you are on the bike.

By the way, did you check if your rubber centerstandstop on the left slip-on is still in place? If you lost that one, or have replacement slip-ons you can also encounter this problem...

Hi Helvet

Stock rubber still there, stock cans, raised height with ring on shock and i checked slack on race stand with a fat bloke sitting on it to straighten the swingarm.

It doesn't rub when i have my weight on it, but i was interested to know if anyone else had the problem. Thanks for the 'all is normal' comment.

It probably doesn't help that i'm more than likely to be a little lighter than you lot, at about 80kg fully dressed.

It's normal if you've raised up the rear of the bike. A lot of people will put something other than the stock rubber thingy to space the centerstand down a little bit. A rubber vacuum hose cap works wonders on a bolt when you get the right length bolt.

It probably doesn't help that i'm more than likely to be a little lighter than you lot, at about 80kg fully dressed.

Yes, I got the same thing.... 75 Kilo and 1.83 meters....

It's normal if you've raised up the rear of the bike. A lot of people will put something other than the stock rubber thingy to space the centerstand down a little bit. A rubber vacuum hose cap works wonders on a bolt when you get the right length bolt.

would this not defeat the purpose of raising the rear by allowing the stand to scrape earlier?

Not really, as you're raising the rear by an inch and you'll lower the centerstand by 1/4". The whole rear of the bike gets raised up by shimming and you will still actually gain clearance if you only lower the centerstand enough to clear the chain.