CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tracks Crooked /shimmies over 100

xfuctx

I layed down the bird few years doing (15mph over sand) has tracked crooked ever since. simple enough. I have removed and rolled the forks on glass plate and found no bend to speak of, reinstalled carefully after head bearing replacement. no change. i installed new front wheel bearings, still crooked. Now the manual and common knowledge leads me to the smingarm (i feel speed was too slow for bent frame but i am often wrong), but how do i udjust check swingarm? And before you ask about rear axle alignment, i rechecked many times and the only thing that has worked at all (for test purposes) was angling the rear axle slightly towards the left which inturn slightly straightens things but seems to be foolhardy when concidering it as a solution. Any ideas? help appreciated. thanx

the Fuct

Triple tree stem is tweaked slightly is my bet. I had the same problem with both a Z1 and my 900F. It is really hard to see and even harder to measure. You must have the tree off the head and do really painstaking measurements. Mine was nearly invisible at less than 1/64th of an inch. This translates to and 1/8 to 1/4 inch out once the extension of the forks and tire are figured in. Very noticable when riding...makes it impossible to let go of the bars and track a straight line without sliding butt to the opposite side of the seat and almost hanging off. I was so convinced that the Z1's tree was straight that I thought the frame was tweaked and bought another one only to tear down the bike and swap frames...same problem showed up as soon as I rode it. :roll: :( I learned from my mistake and just bought a junkyard tree for my F on the second year...viola...problem solved. I doubt if you can "unbend" the tree...try another one from a bike that preferably hasn't been down...it doesn't take much of a hit to tweak them.

Is there a G.M.D. Computrack service center in your area?

They are in the business of checking and fixing motorcycle alignment and setup problems.

Yes there is matter of fact, right down the street lol... lucky me. :D

thanks.

Triple tree stem is tweaked slightly is my bet. I had the same problem with both a Z1 and my 900F. It is really hard to see and even harder to measure. You must have the tree off the head and do really painstaking measurements. Mine was nearly invisible at less than 1/64th of an inch. This translates to and 1/8 to 1/4 inch out once the extension of the forks and tire are figured in. Very noticable when riding...makes it impossible to let go of the bars and track a straight line without sliding butt to the opposite side of the seat and almost hanging off. I was so convinced that the Z1's tree was straight that I thought the frame was tweaked and bought another one only to tear down the bike and swap frames...same problem showed up as soon as I rode it. :roll:  :(  I learned from my mistake and just bought a junkyard tree for my F on the second year...viola...problem solved. I doubt if you can "unbend" the tree...try another one from a bike that preferably hasn't been down...it doesn't take much of a hit to tweak them.

Goddamnit i never even concidered that and i just did my fecking head bearings. you know what, i just towedmy bike a ways and noticed the wheel seemed a little crooked (not plumb) as compared to the rest of the front, and since i found the forks to be straight then you gotta be right. I'm gonna call computrack for an estimate on measuring, then look into this stem idea closer. Thanks alot for the help. :D

Please be sure to post your findings on this. I have the same problem as you do. My front is slightly tweaked. I was thinking it was the steering stem as well but I haven't taken it apart.

No prob, and BTW just did front axle and bearings and guess what ....

yep, no change. :evil: :lol:

So, on with computrack and stem check/replacement.Stems aint cheap either damnit. Will post.

the Fuct