CBR1100XX.org Forum

Jacks

Olmanscbrxx

Hello,

After reading the posts, I went out and bought a set of pilot powers for my 03 bird. The stock BT-57 were fine and I did get 7,500 plus miles out of them. The question I have is what to use to raise the front wheel to remove it. Will one of those motorcycle jacks from Sears be the way to go? Do the fairings have to come off to use it? Any suggestions would help, and thanks for all the info on this site.

Anything with exhaust under the engine (pretty much any inline 4) doesn't work well with those jacks... they're mostly for cruisers and 4-wheelers...

What I do...

1. Put bike on center stand

2. have wife or friend sit on pillion seat so the front wheel raises (or use a floor jack on the header)

3. take off the front wheel and put something under the forks to hold them up (I made a small stand, but you could use wood blocks or something)

4. bike is now resting on front forks (on something) and center stand. You can then take off the rear wheel.

BE SURE TO HAVE THE FORKS HIGH ENOUGH SO THAT THE BIKE DOESN'T TIP FORWARD OFF OF THE CENTER STAND!!

Mike

Guest rockmeupto125

I use a small floor jack to hold up the front...right under the oil pan. There's not that much weight on it. You don't need to pull the fairings. If you didn't have a jack, you could have someone sit on the bike or push down on the rear to raise the front off the ground while you put a block of would or an old plasma cutter under the engine...anything to hold it up.

Pulling and replacing the wheel goes easy if you remove the fender (4 bolts) and the right side caliper (2 bolts). Have loctite on hand for reinstalling the caliper bolts.

I put it up on the center stand and put my floor jack underneath the oil pan. Put a piece of wood between the jack and pan. No the jack you are talking about will not work. Also if you have a way to tie off the bars to make it more secure do it... I almost lost mine a couple of weeks ago.

I just lift both ends of the bike with my PitBull stands and get both wheels of in a jiffy. I love my PitBulls. :D

I just lift both ends of the bike with my PitBull stands and get both wheels of in a jiffy.  I love my PitBulls. :D

Which versions do you have? There are so many choices. Are there spools available for the XX?

Which versions do you have?  There are so many choices.  Are there spools available for the XX?

I have the SS rear stand (spool and non-spool) and the Newfront stand. I don't know of any spools

for the XX and, of course, it doesn't have the built-in threaded holes for spools. I figured I'd get

the stand for both; that way should I ever get a bike with spools, I can use the same stand.

I use a tie-down to strap the bike to the rear stand and then use a floor jack under the oil pan w/ a small piece of plywood between the jack and the bike. Very stable setup, I can "mongo" the bike and not worry about it tipping.