CBR1100XX.org Forum

What am I in for?

Wesbh

On Saturday I went for a ride on the bird. About 30 minutes into the ride I came to a stop sign and started off as normal. However, there was a terrible, I mean real terrible noise, that sounded like nuts and bolts in a coffee can when I got started in first and continued in second.

This situation continued for the remainder of the ride every time I had to stop. In addition, while at speed, there was a constant slight banging on the foot pegs. Not the normal fluid smooth bird at all.

It is an 03 with only 13300 miles. Never abused, never raced. These bikes don't break down do they?

Needless to say the bike goes to the shop tomorrow. I wonder if anyone here might have an insight as to what might be wrong with the bike. What am I in for?

TIA

sounds like clutch

I thought about that, but like I said, the bike has never been raced or abused.

My other bikes have about the same mileage, have been used " a bit" harder, but no problems there.

Thanks

there was a terrible, I mean real terrible noise, that sounded like nuts and bolts in a coffee can

And you kept riding it? I'm sure whatever is wrong wasn't helped by continuing to ride it.

As to what it may be, I couldn't tell you. Not a lot of data on more serious failures on the XX. I do recall one (down in FL, I think) that need major engine work while still relatively new, covered under warrantee.

Been awhile, I'll see if I can find it........

I was not too far from home. So I did keep it in motion. No need to call for help and wait an hour or so. Made it home shortly there after.

Dumb, I know. But I had to be home.

Thanks

K-TOOL, down in FL, apparently had some sort of lean condition from the factory that lead to total engine failure.

I don't think that's your problem, but only posted as a follow up to my earlier post.

Guest rockmeupto125

You desperately need a chain adjust, probably a chain, and also probably at least a front sprocket.

Then pick up a can of chain lube and a calendar.

You desperately need a chain adjust, probably a chain, and also probably at least a front sprocket.

Then pick up a can of chain lube and a calendar.

Now that's the type of answer I want to hear.

I do keep the chain at spec and I do religiously keep it cleaned and lubed. I am AR about that type of stuff. And yes, I do keep a spread sheet on mileage, MPG etc. I am whack about stuff like that. I have done that for all my bikes. It's a disease.

Damn, I hope you are right. Thanks!

+1

Sounds to me like a fucked chain, as well. Especially the part where you mentioned the knocking in the footpegs. :)

When mine sounded like nuts and bolts in a can, it was the CCT; you might want to check to be sure

it is working right and has not failed. A new unit from Joe (X11 CCT) fixed me right up.

Sounds like the CCT, but when mine went out it didn't give off any vibration or anything. Just noise and not vibration. Check out your chain for tight spots and your sprockets for worn teeth or even missing teeth.