CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bird Died

ponyboy

On the freeway yesterday my bird lost all power and died. It would idle but as soon as you even touched the throttle just a little the engine dies.

The error code is 28 flashes. Can anybody tell me what the manual says that is before I take it into the shop.

And any ideas what may have happened.

The bike is a 99', with 2 brothers exhaust and has 21,500 miles.

Thanks,

Ponyboy

My manual doesn't list a code for 28. It only goes to 25. Count them again and try to see if it is telling you two codes. Remember a long (1.3 second) blink counts for ten.

10 is faulty baro sensor, 18 faulty ignition pulse generator if it is the two seperate codes you're more than likely looking at a wiring fault, probably earth related and given it's a 99 could be the dreaded connector block or if you've got a Power Commander fitted disconnect it and try it without.

I have no power commander on it and it is 2 seperate codes. Is there something I could look for to see if it is the connector block and then is there anything I can do about it myself or does it need to go into the shop? Or if it is wiring could it just be a bad earth ground somewhere that I could fix and is this a known problem with 99's.

Thanks,

PonyBoy

You can do a "Search" of the site and get a lot of information and different opinions on this subject. There are a few easy things to check. Verify that the grounds on the frame rail are clean and tight. They are the green wires on the left frame rail, under the seat, near the battery.

Also, reset your ECU and see if your codes come back. There's a procedure to reset it in the manual. I've also heard that disconnecting the battery for a little while will reset it, but I've never tried that one.

I WOULD CHECK THE LOOM ON THE LEFTSIDE WIRING HARNESS. I HAD THAT PROBLEM ON MY 99 CAUSED BY CORRION CUT THE TAPE FROM AROUND IT AND INSPECT AND CLEAN.I PAID THE DEALER TO FIND THE PROBLEM, BUT THEY HAD NO CLUE EVEN WHEN I POINT OUT IT COULD BE THE LOOM THEY DID'NT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT. CHECK AND CLEAN FIRST BEFORE TAKING TO DEALER.