CBR1100XX.org Forum

Scratches

Bob the Fish

What's the best way to remove scratches on the fuel tank? I've got a new 2003 Bird and before I could get the tank bra on I managed to put a small scratch on the clear coat. It's not deep or really noticeable, unless you look at the tank just right. But it's there and it pisses me off at how stupid I am :loser: . Is rubbing compound the answer?

Start with polishing compound, if that doen't do it, go to the rubbing compound and then back to the polishing compound. Finish with a good glaze or "swirl remover"

Or you could be like Skull and go right to the 60 grit, that'll take anything out :wink:

For any fine scratch's or swirl marks --NEVER-- use a compond of any kind. A straight polish with only chemical abrasives will do the job the best. Stay away from anything will physical abrasives in it.

When using any abrasive product you will be removing a layer of the clear coat to make the scratch disappear. You want to leave all the clear that you can for long term durability. Basically when polishing out a scratch you are actually lowering the outter surface of the clear coat to equal the depth of the scratch. The Clear coat is what maintains your UV protection for the paint underneath.

Don't thin out the clear coat any more than you absolutely have to.

A straight polish will round the edges of the scratch just enough so that the scratch is not visable to the naked eye. There will still be a slight indentation in the clear coat but the area immediately around the scratch will keep it's original thickness.

Always follow up any polishing with a wax or glaze to help level the polished area and add some protection directly where the scratch was.

Redd Bird & John,

Thanks for the advice. I Googled 'chemical abrasives' and found this article:

http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/resourc...a_bodycare3.asp

It clearly explains the nature of clear coat, which I hadn't known, and which echoes John's advice. Frankly I'd like to stay away from 60 grit, as it makes me bleed :gotgas:

Can I ask you, John, if there's a polishing product that you would recommend?

Thanks again.

Can I ask you, John, if there's a polishing product that you would recommend?

There are many good products out there. Most all that are labeled as a Polish will work exactly like you need them to. I tell customers all the time, when asked this question, "Depends on whether you drive a Ford or a Chevy!" another words - personal preference.

Meguires, Mothers, Simoniz all good name brands.

I prefer "Factory Finish" but then that is the name brand I created and developed here at "Sonny's The Car Wash Factory". 11 years here overseeing the Professional Detailing Department and publishing a 50 page detailing catalog for the Car Wash Industry annually.