CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork seal brands.

Rider99XX

What brand of fork seals do most members in here favor? I know there is a difference in price but what about quality? I don't mind paying a little extra if there is a difference in quality.

Also, should I change the bushings while I have the forks apart? What about the dust covers?

I've only ever used factory Honda seals because I've heard the old thing that the factory ones last 20k-40k miles real quick or a bunch of years and the aftermarket ones (like Parts Unlimited, etc) last about a year or MAYBE 2 and maybe 10k miles if you're lucky... but that's just what I've heard, and it's enough of a bitch that I don't like doing it any more than I have to...

You will want to change the seals and dust covers, and it depends on the bushings... The manual says if there is something like more than 1/3 or half or something brass showing on them, change them, and if most of what you see is Teflon coating (silver/grey), leave them. I've never had to change a set, even in forks that have been leaking and running almost dry. Although I haven't done them on anything with more than about 35k miles on them either, but they have been made in the 80's, so they're not new either...

Mike