CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear spacer - which is best and why?

Furious

I've heard a lot of good things about adding a rear spacer for better handling. I've seen that Jaws has them and I've also seen a pretty trick looking unit from TSR that I have no idea how to go about ordering.

What I’d like to know is, what is the big deal with the strong recommendation for a 6mm spacer? What would be the implications of going larger? Is the Jaws unit any good? Does anyone have the TSR unit and how the heck did you get it?

ANSWER ME!

Thanks,

Furious

There have been some pretty good posts here explaining this process, and here's a link to a pretty good write up that explains how to do it.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/rsuspshim/

The reason to shim a bike is to alter the geometry of it. By putting more weight up front, you'll get some better handling. However, you don't want to go too drastic, 6mm should be the max, otherwise you're going to experience some difficulty in handling.

I haven't yet done this myself, but I plan on doing it as soon as I get some time. I'm not going to be ordering any parts for this, I'm just going to go to Home Depot and get some washers that will fit my bolt. I'm also probably going to be testing this in increments, maybe 2mm at a time until I get it to a point I like, and am comfortable with.

Jay

The best, 4 washers, slotted, staggered and slipped on.

Why: Cheapest, easiest (doesn't require taking the nut completely off...)

Concerns, if for some reason a washer wiggles free.

I put over 40,000 miles on 4 slotted washers, never a problem.

MaXX

I've heard a lot of good things about adding a rear spacer for better handling.  I've seen that Jaws has them and I've also seen a pretty trick looking unit from TSR that I have no idea how to go about ordering.  

What I’d like to know is, what is the big deal with the strong recommendation for a 6mm spacer?  What would be the implications of going larger?  Is the Jaws unit any good?  Does anyone have the TSR unit and how the heck did you get it?

You have to contact Toru to get anything from TSR. All other methods are unreliable, TSR Japan doesn't like to return calls or emails. Unless you can get jlheine (forum member in Japan) to get it direct from TSR, and have him send it to you.

And you have to email him often.

toru|at|tsrworldwide|dot|com

Toru quoted me JPY 35000 for the linkage, and it took about 1.5 weeks to arrive once I told him to send it.

You also need a different rear spring for this linkage.

It is bad ass quality, but I have not mounted it yet.

35,000?

They have it listed for 3,500 on the web site - though their website is hardly complete so it could be a misprint on their part.

Did you get the spring as well, J? Is it a TSR spring and how much was it?

Thanks for all the input so far, everyone.

35,000?

They have it listed for 3,500 on the web site - though their website is hardly complete so it could be a misprint on their part.

Did you get the spring as well, J?  Is it a TSR spring and how much was it?

Thanks for all the input so far, everyone.

My error, you are talking about the spacer, not the TSR linkage. I see the spacer now.

I see absolutely no need to buy the TSR spacer. Honestly, it is way more hassle than should be endured, for a simple spacer.

Use washers. Or ask me really nicely to build and sell spacers identical to TSR's.

J.

i gott the 6mm spacer from jaws he threw it in free with the mirror spacers cause i gott wide shoulders and was sick of lookin at myself in mirrors on bike spacer works awsome so do mirror extenders