CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire question B-4 MegaXX

JB4XX

I will be slabbing it to MegaXX this weekend. I expect to do 13-1500 miles in three days. Should I throw a few extra pounds of air in my tires? I have Michelin Pilot Roads, the rear has 2500 miles on it, the front has 12,000 on it...Which brings me to my nexxt question.

My front has VERY little tread left on it, anyone tell me how fast a Pilot Road shows cord after tread is gone? It doesnt have any bald spots, I just dont want to pull a Maxx and end up with cord showing. :shock: It should be dry all weekend so I am not worried about that at all. 8)

Pump 'em up to 42psi and ride the bitch.

You can check them at fuel stops & adjust your cruising speed accordingly if they're wearing faster than you hoped. :)

Josh, whata ya' think? The front tire is toast. You are trying to save only a couple bucks by not doing this? The potential cost could be huge if you go sliddin, it's not worth it. As tires wear they tend to do so in escalating speed meaning that even is they seem to have 50% thread left it isn't half the life. It's not worth the gamble.... as I learned sliding on my ass on my ST when my front tire broke loose really fucking quickly.

New tire=@$100, damage to my fairing and teh new rear truck bumper=@$1000.

Me, I would put a different front on. Showing cords on the back is one thing, cords on the front would freak me out.

PLUS, wear is exponential as tread gets thinner and thinner. Don't know why (or really care), all I have experienced is once you are down to 1/4 tread, that last bit goes much quicker.

MaXX

The hundred bucks isnt an issue. Just wanted to get the most life out of tires before adding them to my abused tire stash+ didnt want to square off a new front with the 1200 miles of slabbing+200 of twisties this weekend.

I have two days to get-r-done, just takes one call to my tire guy and he'll come out to work and change it in the parking lot. :wink:

Just talked to my tire guy...He wants $145 installed for a Pilot Road front.

Does that sound about right?

The price sounds fair but who knows about the following:

Is it balanced correctly? How much weight are they using or are they balancing the rim and tire separately to ensure the best match?

Does this include removing the wheel and replacing it? IF so, is he properly torquing everything back right?

Is there any additional cost for scratching rims or is that "gratis"?

The last thing I'll do again is trust my ass to someone making $8/hour when traveling on a motorcycle at speeds exceeding 5+ over the posted speed limits

I just replaced BOTH front and rear Dunlop 208's at 3500 miles because the rear showed through, and the front was "starting to" cup... I value my ass way more than the cost of a front tire anyday. Fess up pup. you're riding with the big boys now. Spend a kilo-buck for the right tire at the right time.

Just talked to my tire guy...He wants $145 installed for a Pilot Road front.

Does that sound about right?

Labor is ~$50 to spoon it on leaving $90 for the tire. I'd say that's a good deal. That's wht I paid for my Dunlop front.

If I take the wheel off myself and run it up to the stealer, they charge me $25 to mount and balance. That's not a bad price at all to remove the wheel, put a tire on, and remount the wheel including the price of the tire.

Ok, I am having the new Pilot Road front tire installed tonight. The guy I get tires from will come out and change it while I am at work in the parking lot. So yeah, I dont have to go to him or lift a finger so it sounds like a good price.

I got to looking at my front again and sure enough, the 150 miles I road since yesterday morning has really wore what I had left out. :?

Thanks for the input guys,

FYI..I got 9500 from my Pilot Road rear, 12k from front...I'll be sticking to Roads! :D