CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bike Dying. HELP BEFORE MEGAXX

Cossi

Okay a little history I bought my 2000 XX March 3, 2005. It had 3037 miles on it. When I test rode it, I thought I felt it die, and I looked down and the FI light was on. But all the sudden it was under power again. It all happened in a split second. I looked at the fuel gauge, and it was on E with the light on. So I thought, that on the curve it ran it self dry for a half sec. FF to today, I am riding @15 mph pulling into my folks subdivision, and I lose power, the FI light is on, and I roll the throttle a little bit and it kicks back on and goes, for about 2 seconds, ad it went like this for about 30 secs, I didn't think I was gonna make it into the driveway. Finally it flat dies, and I restart with the starter, and pull into the driveway, as it stumbles again.

PAST: About a month ago, I was sitting at a stoplight idleing, and the needle on the tach dropped to 0, and the FI light came one, but the bike never stopped running.

I DO NOT want to get stranded somewheres between here and Eureka Springs. SO please tell me what to look for what to check. If I don't find anything I may haul it to the Honda dealer 70 miles away, and have them take a look at it, and fix the minute oil leak that I have been putting off.

So any ideas? I was wondering if I needed to just reset the ECU (can't I just do that be unhooking and rehooking the Battery), or I had also thought about a TP sensor.

So what say ye oh you of all knowing XX knowledge?

Thanks a million!

Guest rockmeupto125

First, clean the battery leads...at the batter and at the frame ground. I'd also unplug and replug the ECU. You might consider doing a load test on the battery. It looks as though your bike didn't get much usage, and they don't like to sit around.

I suggest going throught the charging system check. Put a volt meter on the battery, and start the bike you should get between 12 and 13 volts on idle. Now slowly increase the rpms to until volts increase to about 14. This should happen around 3500rpm. If it doesnt, then you probably have a bad regulator, if it does, then do a load check on the battery. I also think the advise of checking/cleaning your connections is a good one. Something is definately funky if the tach died, then the bike coughed and the FI came on... Normally when the tach dies that indicates a serious electric problem.

and then when all else fails hardwire the multi pin earth test connector. My 2000 FI light had the flickers, coming on with different things like brake lights, indicators etc but also cut out a couple of times like yours, not funny when you're stuck in the outside lane at 80+ when it dies and you have to get back across 3 lanes of traffic.

Cleaned the connector first and that lasted 3 months before it started again, now its all soldered up and been no problem for 6+ months.

This is how I did it http://www.bikersoracle.com/blackbird/foru...ead.php?t=16438

Well I rode 150 miles today without a flaw. Got home and thought I had better check it out. I found that both battery connections + and - I could turn. not wiggle up and down but turn them. So they weren't terribly loose but they werent tight either. I am geussing the PO disconnected the battery during not being ridden. So I am fairly confident there isn't a problem now. But where is the frame ground you guys were talking about? I have to hard wire the GPS this week, and will go ahead and check that too.

The frame ground is on the upper left frame rail under the seat near the battery. You'll see a bundle of green wires with eyeletts under a screw.

Clean the hell out of it just for fun. :lol: