CBR1100XX.org Forum

A couple of questions

Warp11XX

Well :D The Bird is everything I expected and soooo much more. Almost time for my second oil change at 2500 miles. I'm loving every second I've spent on her! :D:D

Now, the questions...

I've noticed a noise from the front that is strange to me. It may be normal for radial tires, but I have no previous experience or reference to judge it by. The noise is present at cruising speeds from 35mph to ???mph and is very slight. It almost sounds like the whine that heavy treaded tires make on pavement while rolling. This slight whine increases in volumn slightly when cornering at normal+ speeds. Is this a normal noise that radial tires tend to make? I'm running the stock Dunlop Sportmax II's...

Question 2...I had the stealership install the Yosh RS-3 system before I picked it up on day one. I've always heard a slight hissing/spitting type exhaust leak that sounds like it is coming straight up through the steering head area when I'm seated on the bike. Is this most likely because they tried to skimp and not replace the OEM factory exhaust crush gaskets when installing the new pipe? How hard are the crush gaskets to replace? I'm not figuring much more than minor PITA. I also have a known leak at the junction where the collector meets the canister section. Is this just a matter of not being tightened enough at this clamp? Is this clamp going to take the stress of being tightened enough to stop this leak? I can feel the exhaust gasses blowing out of the pipe at this connection area if I just place my hand close to the clamp. Both these areas are contributing to an annoying sp sp sp sp spit....

Thanks for any ideas folks... :mrgreen:

#1, unfortunately, that sounds like front wheel bearings to me. This can be caused by 3 things;

1) overtightening the front axle (most likely)

2) wear (not your problem, bike is new)

3) wheel installed backwards (don't laugh, I did it, and somehow it screwed them up)

I'd be more apt to number one. Take it to the dealer, tell them they screwed up, and you have Johnny Cochran's ghost on speed-dial :lol:

#2, more than likely it's the gaskets. There is a chance that it's just not tight enough, but unlikely. I changed my pipes at the 600 mile break-in oil change and didn't have to do the gaskets. Maybe I was just lucky.

for the leak at the junction, get a little clear silicone and put it on the pipe before install. Slip the other pipe over it and no problems and no mess either. A lot of aftermarket exhaust makers suggest this when installing pipes.

:shock: Is there a heat resistant silicone that would hold up there available? :shock:

One more question :roll: about the PAIR valve...does it still actually work with an aftermarket exhaust? Are there any "strange" connections when pulling the header off?

Technically that was 2 more questions... :lol::lol: