CBR1100XX.org Forum

I'm loosing power and the engine shuts off...help!!!

KnucklezX

I’m new to the forums and own a 1997 BB. I bought it used with under 5600miles last June (04). I have noticed that when trying to keep up with smaller liter bikes. I loose power, sometimes to the point that the engine is shut off. I cannot seem to get the bike above 95mph and sometimes 75mph. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be wrong with my BB.

Is the fuel tank vent clear and working OK? (Open your gas cap when you start having trouble and see if you engine runs better.)

ditto on that. You could be getting a vacuum lock on the fuel. Pop the cap and see if you hear a slight rush of air into the tank. If you can, seafoam cleaner probably wouldn't be a bad idea at all. That old with that few miles says to me that it wasn't ridden much.

A bird that won't do over 95mph!!?? It's a good think we only drive +5 over the speed limit, or I'd say you have some real problems... :twisted:

If it actually stalls when you try to run it up, and runs/idols or other wise runs fine, I'd agree with XXTi and demon, I think you've got a fuel delivery problem. Also check to be sure both wheels spin relatively freely; brakes, chain, or wheel bearings aren't binding somehow.

Let us know what you find.

-UJ

Thanks, I'll look into that tonight when I get home. I cleaned the carbs the week I brought her home. BTW the BB has over 12k on her now.

So you dont ride it much then... :poke:

Has it been doing this since you got it?

Have you ever changed the plugs? Could the air filter be clogged?

It started doing this in April. I have kept in the garage. I did a half winterizing. I put Sta-bil in but I would run the bike everytwo weeks. Just to let it get hot. Who ever had this bike before me must have kept it outside. all the aluminum hat oxidation spots, that are turning out to be a pain to clean. I bought a K&N air filter when I cleaned the carbs. I want to get the BB ready for some trackdays. Everyone I ride with says I crazy if I take it to the track. I'll be laughing when I rail past them. :lol: They say it can't be done! No, I haven't changed the plugs yet...

Hi and welcome.

Don't let your troubles get you down on the Bird. They are normally bulletproof.

12K now on a '97? I'd replace the plugs while you are in there. Do a search and find Dale's (Warchild's) sight (or I am sure someone has the link handy) for an easy plug swap.

That, plus the above, I bet you will be find. Stick around.

OK, here's Dale's site:

http://www.superblackbird.com/default.cfm

A bird that won't do over 95mph!!?? It's a good think we only drive +5 over the speed limit, or I'd say you have some real problems... :twisted:

... I never understood what the hell that meant until I met Carlos and he explained it to me. Quite funny once you hear the whole story, I should look up the thread sometime - unless someone has it bookmarked! :P

+3 on the fuel flow problem.

Also dissasemble the fuel petcock and check the rubber diaphram. I bought my bike used with 3800 miles and mine was pinched and torn from the factory (I assume). Since the petcock is apart, checke the fuel filter. It's a cigar shaped tube that goes up into the tank.

I checked the vent hose and it was kinked. My brother and I did a quick fix to that and I ordered a new stock part. I was also checking the petcock and noticed a little dry rotting on the ruber diaphram as sugested by Pete in PA.

Just to be safe I ordered a new petcock and assembly. I can still ride but I would feel better after I get the new equipment put on.

Thanks to all for the posts, I'm glad I found this website.