CBR1100XX.org Forum

Smelling fuel

Cossi

Definitely not normal.

How many miles, and have you done any maintenance?

Any recent mods or maintenance? Does this only happen when the tank is totally full, or any other consistencies in it's occurence?

I have a 2000 also and after a longer ride I too smell fuel. I think its the fuel vent...I hope?

That is kinda what I was thinkin, but, I am not sure. Mine will do it when just going across town. No mods. Haven't really noticed a pattern on where the fuel level is when I smell it.

I have a 2000 also and after a longer ride I too smell fuel. I think its the fuel vent...I hope?

Mine too. When I asked my dealer about it the mechanic said it was the vent. But still, it's stronger than any other machine I've ever used.

I do find that the smell is less strong after I change the plugs. ( Which I have to do soon.)

the fuel injected bikes are set rich from the factory according to powercomander people.

especially in the mid range,,,,4,000 rpm

think that is a flat spot reason.

are you running in that rpm for a while and stoping?

turn off and smell exhaust for gas buildup in pipes

Had the same problem on my '99. Checked all the vent hoses and fuel lines but found nothing wrong. After running 2 bottles of Techron (1/2 bottle per fillup) through the fuel system, problem is gone. I'm not smart enough to know exactly why, maybe something with the injectors?