CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake pad oops

Moriartii

Ok, read the brake pad replacement advice and I am good to go. Except what if I replaced mah front tire and in doing so I dropped the old pads out so I could clear the rotor; THEN decided to replace the worn pads? Problem is how do I now get the caliper pistons pushed in far enough to get the new HH's inserted without fugging up the rotor?

Thought maybe I could try slipping the old pads back in and then going forward but may run into the same problem with lack of clearance. Caveat is I do NOT want to remove the calipers or wheel again. Can it be done Obi Wan? :?:

Also what is this "stock" shim that I have heard reference to? Is this the spring clip dealio on top of the pads or something else cause I dont have that?

As always, thank you.

Kinley

As far as getting the pistons back, you should be able to slip one pad in on one side and use it to gently lever the pistons back. Make sure you have the reservoir top loosened enough and something to catch the overflow out of the res so you don't damage anything, including paint. The only "shim" I have seen is on the back of the pads, and I didn't need anything extra, as my replacement EBC HH Sintered pads came with shims on the backs already. The pads pretty much slip in place, just make sure you get the hooked part up inside its mate on the caliper, otherwise they won't really be in place.

Guest rockmeupto125

Replace your old pads, and then gently pry the pads back into the caliper until the pistons are fully retracted.

The possiblilty of bending or gouging your rotors exists with this action...as thats what you have to pry against. However, this can be done.

I can't recommend that you do this, although I've done it myself numerous times, but must advise that you remove the caliper instead.

Your call.

Guest rockmeupto125

Hey.....I'm not gonna advise anyone to jam a screwdriver next to their rotor....although I'll be the first one to do it. :twisted:

Some brake pistons aren't quite as "free" as others.

And comparatively, it doesn't take me long to pull a caliper, either.

Pry gently, and I wouldn't recommend removing the cover from the master cylinder.

All that will do is allow moisture/dirt to enter an otherwise sealed system.

How else do you relieve the backpressure in the system to allow you to put on the new pads? Especially if you've added any fluid, you won't be able to get the pistons back far enough to fit new meat.

Guest rockmeupto125

If you've added fluid, then you need to pull the cover, and all bets are off.

However, a full reservoir will accomodate a complete wearing of the pads. So if you've just let the system work, compressing the pistons will simply refill the reservoir. Because the system is sealed, there wouldn't be any backpressure, but be a vacuum from the potential space left as the fluid system grew larger, due to the exodus of the pistons from the caliper.

That is exactly why there is a rubber seal inside the reservoir cap that can expand downwards to fill up said space as the fluid level drops due to brake pad wear.

Just as Joe said, the system is sealed, and designed to supply ample fluid for pad wear.

Brake systems should never be opened or topped up unless you're flushing fluids, repairing a leak, or replacing components.

That is exactly why there is a rubber seal inside the reservoir cap that can expand downwards to fill up said space as the fluid level drops due to brake pad wear.

Just as Joe said, the system is sealed, and designed to supply ample fluid for pad wear.

Brake systems should never be opened or topped up unless you're flushing fluids, repairing a leak, or replacing components.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't refilled mine yet, but since I'd done it on cars, I assumed it was a similar set up. Learn something new here everyday.

I bet Nik can push HIS pistons in with his bare hands. One place where he can go nuts and not strip anything.

:P:P

Actually I was too lazy to take my calipers off, and my fingers wouldn't fit in the space.

I had Mac come over and slide his wango tango in between the old brake pad and rotor. Then I talked dirty to him, and his resultant erection pushed the piston back into place.

Swapped out the pads, pumped the brake a few times... pumped mac a few times.. DONE!

Got the pads changed out this weekend. Used two screwdrivers to gently pry the pistons back. Worked relatively easy and without opening the system and didnt scratch the rotors.

Thanks for all the advice.

Kinley