CBR1100XX.org Forum

LOAD EQUALIZER (Electrical)

TFT

I mentioned this once before but didn't get clear answer.

I replaced my rear turn signals with LEDs when I installed the Mototek Undertail. Now the turn signals flash at a high rate. What can I do to slow them down back to normal. I was told i can install a "Load equalizer" but I would have to buy two of them and they are $16.00 a piece. Is there a simpler way to do this?

I've got the same problem on an old Kaw I'm working on. They flash fine but don't pull enough for the 4-ways to work. Thinking maybe wiring in a resistor to each hot wire would do the trick on the cheap, but I don't know, just talking out my ass here.

Tom--here is one solution from the folks at superbrightleds.com....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...cgi?product=CAR

scroll toward the bottom....6 ohm, 50 watt resistor with splicers...gold in color...

I am pretty sure you could get the same thing from Radio Shack or some place like that. Two will cost approx $10 + s/h...

And, fwiw, they do create heat, so keep that in mind when installing.

6 ohm, 50 watt resistor with splicers...gold in color...

I am pretty sure you could get the same thing from Radio Shack or some place like that.  Two will cost approx $10 + s/h...

And, fwiw, they do create heat, so keep that in mind when installing.

This is what I used when I went to LED's. Got mine at Radioshack for less than $6.00 for both IIRC. Just be sure and wire them in PARALLEL with the turn signal, not series. Took forever to figure out what was wrong. As far as heat is conceerned, I've had mine under the tail without a lot of ventilation for over a year with no problems, but I wouldn't put them on top of the ECU or PCII.

PM Vern (Xrated) he had a simple, cheap solution, and he's an electrician so you know he got it right.

Involved the right amount of resistors wired inline with each signal, he'll have exact numbers.

I knew about the flasher relay problem before I commited to LED turnsignals. I like my tail light LEDs though. :D

I know about the load resistor, don't want to do it if I can help it.

I've heard there are electronic flasher units that can handle any amount of current.

When I find one I'll post up.

This was an alternative solution but I didn't want to spend that much so I went with the resistors. You can adjust the rate to whatever you want plus it's less work and a little cleaner (plug and play).

http://www.libertek.com/PRODUCTS.html

Was going to get them here, I've had good luck with these folks on several purchases before:

http://www.streetfightersbydesign.com/stre...libertek_pg.htm