CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stripped some threads

TFT

Upon re-assembling the lowers on my bike, one of the 6mm screws that attaches the rear of the right lower stripped. I can't tell how much damage it did to the threads on the attachment point. Just the very end of the bolt is stripped. What do I do? I've never dealt with a stripped bolt before. I went to home depot and Lowe's to try and firnd a thread dye but neither had any metric in stock. There are some hardware stores open Monday that sell them, so I'll pick one up then.

I could use some advice on this.

Thanks

Guest rockmeupto125

If just the bolt threads stripped, you should be able to pick up a 6mm standard metric thread bolt to just clean up the threads on the bike.

A standard die will probably not clean up the threads on the bolt well as its kinda short, and the die is graduated....you won't reach the full cut of the die before it bottoms against the head of the bolt. You could buy a 6mm nut, and attempt to thread it onto the stripped bolt, but for the cost I'd say buy a new one, and a regular bolt and washer from the hardware store just for a temporary.

Since you say that the end of the bolt is stripped, then only the starter thread in the frame is damaged as well. I would recommend chasing the threads in the frame with a 6mm bottom tap. Try an auto parts store, as metric sizes are common in auto applications. You can reuse the damaged bolt temporarily until you get a replacement. File the damaged thread down, and use some kind of lube when you reinstall it. When you reinstall the bolt, turn it counterclockwise until you can feel the starter threads lapping over each other, then tighten carefully, and don't overtorque it.

Guest Jetpilot5

Just buy a new bolt. No sense in possibly screwing things up worse trying to save the old one.

I've had good success fixing stripped holes using Recoil brand thread repair kits. They include everything you need except the drill bit and drill. I fixed threads on both my Yamaha and Kawasaki using their products. Strangely, I've never had stripped threads on either Honda I've owned. I bought mine at the local bolt supply house, but you can get them on-line too. Good luck.

http://www.toolfastdirect.com/acatalog/inf...nfo_tb181f.html

LBM58380Z.JPG

Guest Jetpilot5
Since you say that the end of the bolt is stripped, then only the starter thread in the frame is damaged as well.  I would recommend chasing the threads in the frame with a 6mm bottom tap.  Try an auto parts store, as metric sizes are common in auto applications.  You can reuse the damaged bolt temporarily until you get a replacement.  File the damaged thread down, and use some kind of lube when you reinstall it.  When you reinstall the bolt, turn it counterclockwise until you can feel the starter threads lapping over each other, then tighten carefully, and don't overtorque it.

This is excellent advice. I wrote my post on the assumption that the hole threads were toast. If it's just the first couple that are messed up, you may well be able to save them by chasing with the right sized tap.

I picked up a tap and ran it through the threads. Everything seems to be ok. Some crap must have gotten into the threads and then screwed things up. Some metal filings came out with the tap so I ran the tap in and out about 4 times. Now I just need to buy a new bolt.