CBR1100XX.org Forum

Poor handling after fork oil change.

cbr1100/sp-2

I had a local shop replace my fork oil as a matter of routine maintanence. Since getting the bike back the handling has been slow & sluggish almost wooden feeling if that makes sense. Could the bikes geometry be messed up or could it be the fork old is the wrong weight. Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Wrong weight is my guess.

Too thick of an oil, and it will make the front end feel like a truck. If they just screwed up the oil height, it would ride firmer, but not that bad.

Unless, of course, somebody filled the forks right to the top :shock:

What are you waiting for, btw? Bring it back and BITCH!! :evil:

Put it up on the center stand get the weight off of the front end and see if they overtightend your steering stem. Possible, not likely, but an easy test to get that crossed off the list as probable causes.

No complaints about the avatar it does catch one's eye. I trust the tech that changed the oil, but it sounds like I could have caused my own problem. I specified the same shock oil be put in the XX as was put in my RC by a suspension shop in Oregon City. It could just be the wrong viscosity.

I used a castrol fork oil but I've forgotten the viscosity. I think I'll take back to the shop and have them put stock Honda oil in.

This is what you want, then.... this is our factory fork oil:

08208-0010_large.jpg

Honda Pro SS-8 Suspension Fluid - 10wt, which is standard issue in many Showa cartridge forks.

Guest rockmeupto125
I think I'll take back to the shop and have them put stock Honda oil in.

Better make sure they pull the forks and drain them. After all, you wouldn't want it done half-assed, wouldja?

If they give you an argument, tell 'em Warchild sent you..... :twisted:

I still don't understand why you guys take the forks off to drain the oil. I just take off the wheel , undo the bottom bolts, take off the caps and yank out those cartridges .

But if it works it works, just my 2cents , and ye i'm lazy .. :-D

Herb