CBR1100XX.org Forum

I think I killed my battery

Brian03XX

OK I have the YTZ-12S. Had it out of the bike and was puting a charge on it every know and then {at 2 amp} in the house over the winter. The charger has over lode PRO but one night I fell asleep with it one and the next day the batt was very hot. This was a month ago. After that I put it on low charge ever now and then. So today I thought I might try for a short ride around the block. Got the batt in set the clock went to start the bike and nothing just clicks. Put the batt on charger for about 20 min then tried again got a bit of a start but then nothing Do you think I killed the batt by over chargeing?

Hey Brian you really don't want to be charging a battery inside the house. You could end up poisoning yourself not to mention that it gives off explosive gases while it's charging.

If you're gonna take it out of the bike just keep it in the garage sitting on a piece of wood.

FWI, I don't bother charging mine unless it needs it. I think I've bought two batteries in the last 10 or 12 years.

I used to feel that way too. Since I've been hanging around here, I've begun leaving in on a Battery Tender - not so much to save the battery, but to save the stress on the R/R since I do a lot of short hops daily requireing numerous starting of the bike without the battery ever getting the chance to completely recharge. I know it can't prevent all the overload but at least the baterry is topped of when I start out.