CBR1100XX.org Forum

Are all years of factory mufflers the same???

Pete in PA

Swamp's is a 2000 model.

All cans bolt on the same way, with the newer ones equipped with catalytics at the inlets.

Carlo's are not catalytic equipped, so I'm sure they'd be a direct bolt-on, and compatable with what you have.

The fuel injected models have the baffles arranged differently than the carb models. Don't think there are catalysts due to the fact there isn't an O2 sensor anywhere on the "open loop" FI system used on US models.

I saw a "can autopsy" on the IXXRA site out of England. Check it out. I TIG welded a holesaw arbor to a drill bit extender and hogged the baffle out about 1 1/4". I wanted a little more growl, and I got it. Also got a little more grunt down low and this mod also woke up the mid range some.

If I ever get a set of slipons, I will probably go with the Lazer "Hot Cam" cans due to the high quality construction and the mounting flange is welded to the can rather than the band clamp used on other manufactorers mufflers.

Just my 2cents worth.

I saw a "can autopsy" on the IXXRA site out of England. Check it out. I TIG welded a holesaw arbor to a drill bit extender and hogged the baffle out about 1 1/4". I wanted a little more growl, and I got it. Also got a little more grunt down low and this mod also woke up the mid range some.

So did you just drill the hole through the first baffle or did you try to drill right through? Also what year is your bird?

I like the look of the stock cans but would love a bit more noise.

I drilled through the solid baffle at the end of the muffler. The mesh screen is behind that. Didn't want the hole saw hanging up in that.

Mine is an 2002 model. One more payment to go!!! :arrow:

By the way, the site I saw the can autopsy on is:

www.superblackbird.co.uk

Not the IXXRA as previously posted-DOH!

I drilled the muffler baffles off the bike, and had my wife hold them so I could drill downward. I also used a good bit of Tap Magic, a cutting lubricant. The hole saw will usually hold the slug; I used a magnetic bolt retreiver tool to get the large shavings out and then a shop rag taped to a long screwdriver to get the remaining oil and metal fuzz out of the cans. Then I used compressed air from the header collector side to blow any remaining debris out.

The exhaust gas has to travel through a convoluted set of turns to exit the muffler, so I wasn't worried about a shaving getting sucked back up to the motor.

I'm getting these. They are a lot like the stock ones in looks but lighter and tuneable for sound output with a blanking plug for the bottom outlet and a restricting plug for the top outlet. Blueflame says you can "tune" for 4 different sounds with the dual outlet cans. Both open = loudest, top restricted and bottom open = less loud, top open and bottom blocked = even less loud, and finally top restricted and bottom blocked = quietest and pass for the sound tests in England for a road legal can. I opted for the stainless like in the pic, but they will be on the faster black colored bike. They are on their way from Jolly ole England as we speak. I'll post up on the sound, construction, and fit and finish when I get them. I can peg leg it around town before I get cut on and check the sound with the different plug arrangements.

Blackbird%20web%20upload.jpg

Don't think there are catalysts due to the fact there isn't an O2 sensor anywhere on the "open loop" FI system used on US models.

'01-up, IIRC for California versions

'02 & 03 for sure, and in more countries than the US.

An oxygen sensor has nothing to do with catalysts. They're only there for emissions, to help burn the unburned hydrocarbons, and reduce CO.