CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bolt vs rear rim

Mithrandir

I'm rarely around the forums these days. However, I thought I'd drop in and show off some photos you guys might like.

These are pics of the meeting between the rear tyre and a 3/8x6" bolt, while travelling at speed along WA Hwy 520. All I felt was a small bump and a loud bang, followed by the rear tyre wobble. They tyre was less than a week old, and Avon have agreed to replace it for free IAW their 12 month warranty. University Honda also happened to have a spare rim from a wreck, which I've purchased for pretty cheap. HRCA-supplied roadside assistance, meant no towing fees either. All in all, I should come out of this for less than $300.

bolt_rim_1.jpg

bolt_rim_2.jpg

bolt_rim_3.jpg

bolt_rim_4.jpg

Less than 5 seconds to dead flat. After that it was

wobble,thumb,wobble,thumb,wobble,thumb...

at about 2mph along the side of the highway until the next exit. Luckily that was only a few hundred feet up the road to get out of the way of the afternoon commuter traffic.

I am glad you made it through ok. I hit a bolt in the highway, ripped a huge hole in the tire, but nothing that fierce. I had to do the crippled ride the shoulder at 2mph as well...

It's most definitely time to play the lottery....