CBR1100XX.org Forum

Info obtaining on a homemade undertail exhaust for Bird..

PlasticxxHead

So those 16" long tappered pipes at JC are glass packed??

Won't several bands in a pipe reduce sound.. So if I take the side pipe up like MIGs then try to tuck them under can I still get away with the JC whit, 16" pipes??

Thanks for all your help .. this is great !!! :wink:

So those 16" long tappered pipes at JC are glass packed??

Ooops, my bad. :oops: I guess I should have clicked on the link earlier in the thread to see the tapered things. I was thinking of using glasspack mufflers like these and putting tips on the ends. They come in the right sizes to fit under the seat and would most likely be quieter than the tapered things that don't have any packing in them.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product...ZX/appId-420829

I had pipes similar in design to those tapered things on my Hardley and it was pretty loud. On an inline 4 they would most likely make the D&Ds sound like stockers in comparison.

I still think that the mufflers with the single inlet and dual outlet would be your best bet as far as silence and performance is concerned. Now, if I could just find the damn link.

Found it. It's the one on the bottom left.....single/dual.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/exhaustpros/35...5x7muffler.html

This would fit in there, but is just a tad on the long side. It would work but the bend into the inlet would be pretty tight.

Are you doing this to a carbed bike or FI? FI poses more problems due to the ECU, but you'd want to relocate anything in the tail anyway.

Another idea I tossed around was to have the tips exit where the tail light is and then put an LED strip for a tail light on the license plate bracket. Too many ideas.....not enough bikes. :grin:

I thought about putting the pipes in where the light would be..how about putting the pipes outlets in the light spot for on of the under tail kits..

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i23.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/25/15/26_1.JPG

Could be cool, To Be Continued..[but would require major removal of everything in the tail....a huge job, but working on a frame set up out side of your bike wouls be a lot easier to work on , that mock up you have is a good idea.. I just don't have the resources or the work space or the second bike to do what I want, but hey I'm still young some day I will..

26_1.JPG

Hey Pete there is a guy I rode with last season that has a ZX9 that put an undertai exhaust on it

ZX9%20-bling.jpg

looks good ... Joe,Dion and Ken saw it in Scranton last summer

I dont know what cans he used but I can try and contact him on the other board if you are interested.

:cool:

I am starting a new thread on where to get a 12 tom /16 tom pipe bender anrounf the Ny Nj Conn area. b/c shipping 86 lbs is crazy expensive.

5753.jpg I NEED ONE OF THESE..

That thing should be called a Pipe Kinker..... it WILL NOT DO WHAT YOU'RE PLANNING ON DOING!

You need a mandrel pipe bender.... about 60K, if you want to buy one.

Been there, tried that.... it's cheaper and easier to go to your local Muffler shop and have them bend the pipe for you. Make sure they have a Mandrel bender... before they bend your pipe, some do , some don't.

Good Luck!

Here is the number to OCC ( 1-888-OCC-BIKE (622-2453) )......

They will build the exhaust for you ! :twisted: :wink:

Eric is right on the bender. My "bro-in-law" bought it and it sucks ass with thin wall pipes as the exhausts are........

I'd visit a muffler shop as mentionned above.

Good luck !

Cheers,

I had this thought a while back that I'ld just go see if the local muffler shop had any extra bent pipes laying around....

Stupid me fell right into the thought of "well maybe",

and I saw the Biker build-off where Billy Lame supposedly picked up a box of extra bends from his local muffler shop...... "well maybe"

Nope!

And double Nope!

If some Dunb-ass at your local muffler shop bends the pipe the wrong way..... he won't be working there much longer - or - the manager will never let him on that machine again.... pipe is money.

And as for that episode of Biker Build-off.......... it's a TV show for god-sakes, Daaaaa, they always miracliously come up with free and cool shit on TV shows. :roll:

Good Luck!

If some Dunb-ass at your local muffler shop bends the pipe the wrong way..... he won't be working there much longer - or - the manager will never let him on that machine again.... pipe is money.

And pipe is also cheap!

We have a 45 gallon drum full of cut offs and screwed up bends at any given time. I sure as hell won't give them away, though! :lol:

This is stuff we still can use, so we keep it.

Good luck on finding anybody with a mandrel bender. I've never seen one in action, and any fabricators I know that make custom headers just buy the J-bends from Hooker, etc., and cut/weld them together

Not a bad idea, but the inlet diameter is about 1/8" smaller than the outlet pipe on the stock cans. I'm afraid these might be too restrictive.

Although........since there would be two of them, and more importantly, it's a straight shot through, they just might work. An aftermarket 4-2-1 system sqeezes it down to 2-2.5" and these doubled up equal that. The smaller diameter will help keep the db's down as well.

Hmmmm.........and the price isn't too bad either.............

i built mine from a stock header and cut and welded what i needed to make the 2 into 2 down the sides and worked fine,,,, would have bought another to get the bends i needed but came out with enough and no leftovers. i even matched to a set of ducati muffs

you can do anything you want if you have a chop saw and a tig and the time. i started to put the ducs under the seat like they were on the 996 i got them from on ebay for pennies ,but was in a hurry and put them like i did which was almost like stock xxnormal_PB190030.JPG

I am bidding on the tiny exhaust can..

JAson, will this thing work if I only use the one..

I was having Ideas of bending my own mid pipe, just like the MIGS and then putting a U bend at the top and bringing them back under the seat way up high, then joining the two pipes to the one small muffler way up under the seat..??

What do you think???

JAson, will this thing work if I only use the one..

Not really. Too restrictive.

You've got a PM.

I was having Ideas of bending my own mid pipe, just like the MIGS and then putting a U bend at the top and bringing them back under the seat way up high, then joining the two pipes to the one small muffler way up under the seat..??

What do you think???

I think you didn't read this thread. :twak: :banghead: :???: :razz:

First, if you bend your own pipes, they're gonna look like shit. The only way to do it without kinking the pipe is to piece it together like we've been saying.....or buy yourself a mandrel bender.

Also, where do you plan on running the pipes back under the seat? With twelve inch long muffler(s), it's going to have to be right behind the battery which would bring it under in front of the pass. peg bracket.....which means you can't go in on the chain side due to clearance with the chain/guard.........as stated before. :razz: :poke:

Kidz............ :roll:

I read the damn thread.. :twisted:

IDEA ONE: Will this work..

have a shop bend the mid pipes for the mig mock up's

then attach one 12" can on eaither side....AKA fake migs with the 12" cans??

Idea TWo:

Bend the mid pipes "like " the migs , but instead of putting a can on ... put a 180 u bend the pipe under the seat.on either side.. then 180 ubend back to connect the two 12" cans under the seat.. lots of twisting but that should help reduce some sound..

I KNOW WE ARE JUST THROWING AROUND HYPOTHETICAL IDEAS, BUT THAT IS HOW GREAT MINDS DEVELOP GREAT IDEAS.. CHIILLLL BROTHER MAN.. WE JUST BANTERING..

PS YOU HAVE A PM..

This is one of the things I'm wanting to do also...

but my idea is slightly different.

I'm wanting to put 2 endings like for example the ducati 916 or the 2004 r1.

I'm thinking about changing the tail to fit it there ....

Any ideas?

cheers

What I'm thinking on doing is to put the slip-ons under the seat like for example the new Honda VFR or the Ducati 916.

I have been studying the project in the weekend and I have to rebuild all the rear including frame and plastics.

That seems a bit extensive..how big are the cans your using?

If you end up cutting snap some pics along the way our grand children will need to know how to do this as well..

Good luck..I'm waiting on my cans from canada.. Erion 's