CBR1100XX.org Forum

Info obtaining on a homemade undertail exhaust for Bird..

PlasticxxHead

I am trying to put together the parts for an undertail.. I want to bend the pipes myself, but the can is what is giving me the trouble..

I can't find a small enough can to fit under the brake light .. I don't want to cut my undertail out..,

SO.. I have been reading up on pipe inserted baffles. the kind they use on harley staight pipes to give back pressure and noise reduction..

Can I pull two raw pipes under my tail and stick baffles in them to give me the back pressure needed and sound reduction?>???

if i can then I'll just angle off the tips and polish the whole set...

something like these:

Any help out there??

oh yeah When there done they'll cost you guys $7,000 a set..normal_4%20tail%20pipes2.jpg

oh yeah When there done they'll cost you guys $7,000 a set

damn, what a deal!! your bike plus this new pipe setup, can't wait till you post it all in the for sale section. :lol:

edit::: edit to say I have nothing actually informative to add to this thread....... OTHER THAN PICS WHEN YOU'RE DONE BABY!!!!

Pete, I think you might have a hard time quieting the system down with just a couple of baffle inserts.

I made a custom resonation chamber around the stock header and added a few baffles in the pipes themselves and it was still crazy loud.

untitled2.jpg

http://imageevent.com/byrdman/motorcyclepi...tures/cbr1100xx

Of course, I wouldn't let me spoil your efforts. I just want to hear it and then I'll send you a check! :grin:

SO.. I have been reading up on pipe inserted baffles. the kind they use on harley staight pipes to give back pressure and noise reduction.

Ah, yes. Anti-reversion cones are another part of this whole phenomenon. I think the general consensus (outside of the lemming HD community) is that it basically accomplishes nothing toward your goal.

Have you considered just some regular glasspacks? Cherry Bombs? Purple Hornies? I don't know if they're small enough.

I like those little mufflers J.C Whitney sells. I wonder if they have fiberglass packing in them or if they are just seration baffled?

Two or four of those PLUS a small canister might be as quiet as a set of slip-ons?

The key is slowing down the exhaust flow and making it change direction a few times.

Look inside this muffler, that's how they cancel the sound waves?

muffler.jpg

http://www.drgas.com/photos/news/photo-spintech.html

I just called JC whit.. THERE ARE NO BAFFLES WHAT SO EVER in side those pipes.. They are straight shots all the way through..

They do sell fiber glass packing sheets.. Can I pack stright pipes with the fiberglass stuff and get enough back pressure???

Byrdman, did you polish you rims your self( if so where did you buy the compound and buffing pads?>?)

You can make your own can. Make a box the size you want, out of metal of course, and put some V shaped baffles in it like a Flowmaster muffler. A series of V's to bounce the sound waves both into each other and some to the side should provide sound cancellation. Put you 2 tips on it and get it chromed or powdercoated. I made my own muffler for an S-10 I used to own out of thickwalled 6" tubing and some welding work. Sounded great. and lasted longer than the truck. Didn't use any packing, only V shaped baffles.

Byrdman, did you polish you rims your self( if so where did you buy the compound and buffing pads?>?)

Actually the lips of the rim are just stripped and clearcoated.

The machining that Honda does on the rims is pretty nice and semi shiny from the factory it's just covered with black paint. :twisted:

I stripped them using an aircraft paint stripper and a tiny paint brush.

When I was done stripping I wiped them down with acetone and sprayed clear spray paint on them. They have lasted as you saw for over three years with no maintenance. Polishing would be much more maintenance intensive.

Anyhow, I have been toying with the idea of making a custom made muffler canister. So far, this is the rough shape I am plannign on using.

muffler_1.jpg

Pete,

I worked on this very same project for about a year. I've even got it mocked up on an extra tail section here at the shop. I decided to go another route so I abandoned it, but still have all of the info.

The two choices I found for mufflers were: 1) the glasspacks found at JCWhitney, and 2) a single inlet, dual outlet muffler that is small enough to fit under the seat. Choice number 2 eliminates the Y-pipe under the seat, and would be much quieter than the glasspacks. I'll have to dig up the link to where they sell the mufflers. If I remember correctly, they didn't make them in stainless, but you could get them ceramic coated, though.

The biggest obsticle is routing the midpipe. There just isn't much clearance behind the heel guard on the rearset and in front of the passenger footpeg bracket to squeek a pipe through there and it's impossible on the chain side, period...... So you have to start with a 4-2-1 header (I'm still looking for one now) or modify the stock one by cutting off one side and filling the hole left behind (pretty restrictive as you'll see once you cut into it).Then, running it on the brake side, it would make your heel get pretty hot if you ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs (like you should), since the pipe has to be right there. Also, the battery should be relocated for heat reasons/and clearance. And speaking of clearance, there are suspension clearance issues to deal with as well.

It's not an easy project, that's for sure. That's part of why I decided to go another route.

Anyway, I'll dig up the info on the muffler and PM you. I'll also try to find the pics I've got of it in progress.

PS- I haven't been in the office for a few weeks (loooong story), so your sticker layout hasn't been sent yet. It'll be soon, once I get caught up. Sorry for the delay.

tanks Jason.

All good on the sticks.. take your time..

I have been toying around with the idea for some time.. I know it is a huge job, but hey I'm young maybe by the time I'm Carlo's age I can have a sweet under tail..

I am gonna track down JOJO for a reference on the kit he posted..

Thanks for the help.. I would love some direction, right now I am just a kid with a dream..

Don't you Fucking CUrse at me.. I haven't heard from you in weeks mister..

I have vital info you and we never talk any more.. :evil:

So now I am looking for a set of headers that will allow one outlet on the right hand side then I will bend ONe pipe under neath..

Joe how tight of an angle can I get bending pipe with the hydralic hand bender..

Do you know where I can get on or who has one..

PS have you HEARD A SET OF D&D's lately??? I don't want people to think I am riding a chainsaw...

PS have you HEARD A SET OF D&D's lately??? I don't want people to think I am riding a chainsaw...

I run D&D's and it's just fucking loud. Don't sound anything like a chainsaw to me. You thought about maybe getting a muffler for an undertail application? Maybe a stock can from a 1000RR or aftermarket slip-on for said bike. You might have to make some mounts, but would anyway with a home-brewed setup.

I did that reaearch.. Looked at the cbr 929 rr undertail but the can is still to big..

I may be modifying my plans as any good artist would when a problem arises with a project...

I am starting a new thread on where to get a 12 tom /16 tom pipe bender anrounf the Ny Nj Conn area. b/c shipping 86 lbs is crazy expensive.

5753.jpg I NEED ONE OF THESE..

Here's a mock up of the JC Whitney glasspack mufflers with some tips installed. You would need the 12" long ones and I'm sure they'd be plenty loud. :shock:

122-2279_IMG.jpg

A canister from a CBR1000RR would fit between the subframe rails easily, but tapers too narrow at the end to look good on the XX, IMO.

Here's bottom view of a canister from a 600RR in there for an idea as to how it would fit.

122-2289_IMG.jpg

The 1000RR can is a bit longer in the tapered section, but is identical in the main chamber area as shown in this photo:

0a9526f6.jpg

You'd have to cut the "mid-pipe" off of the 1000RR exhaust and put a sharper angle at the joint in order to clear the battery in it's stock location. Also, you might have tire clearance issues which is an area you will have to be extremely careful with on the XX. If the larger guys are rubbing the Mototeck undertails, then having a canister under there will definately cause problems.

I'll post more pics if I find them. I had some of a mock up of midpipe, but they got deleted accidently about a year ago. :evil:

That is exxxxaaaccctttlllyyy the idea I was going for.. I look at my room under the tail and any kind of can would rub..

The oem cbr undertails are just what I was looking for.. But yeah they are gonna be too big..

Sooo

You cut out your stock undertail to fit the JC whit's??

I called the company and they told me that the 12" were straight through with no packing..

Can I fiberglass pack those to quite those down..

The glasspacks should be packed........that's why they call them glasspacks. You can't do it yourself since they are sealed. Who told you there was no packing?....JC Whitney? The pics clearly show packing between the perforated core (baffle) and the shell, just like all glasspacks. This is the same concept as an aftermarket exhaust canister except that you can't repack since it's welded shut. Still, they will be loud since 12" isn't enough to absorb a lot of sound.

You cut out your stock undertail to fit the JC whit's??

I gathered some extra parts to mock it up before hacking into my bike. I mounted a subframe to an engine stand to make it easier to work on. Yes, a stock undertray is hacked up and a cardboard mock-up of the heat shielding and mufflers were made to make sure this would fit.

As for tire clearance, I think it could still work but you obviously need to mount the canister as high as possible. This puts in really close to the seat and you will obviously lose all of your underseat storage.

The other major problem I came across is evident in your picture. The midpipe gets really close to your heel.

Like I said, because of all of this, I abandoned this plan and decided to go another route. I'm not saying that it can't be done. I just found another way to do it.