CBR1100XX.org Forum

Where to get stock front sprocket

N1K

Where's a good place to buy online?

Anyone got a part #?

IIRC you guys said that I only need to replace the front one now right? I can't remember how many miles I have on the bike, but its less then 20,000. I think I'm around 15,000.

Where's a good place to buy online?

Anyone got a part #?

IIRC you guys said that I only need to replace the front one now right? I can't remember how many miles I have on the bike, but its less then 20,000. I think I'm around 15,000.

Congrats on the 9000+ posts :bigshock:

Its sad you havent been on your bike in so long you dont know how many miles are on it

My bike turned 21k last week on the way home from work...It was a whopping 34 degrees :wink:

Why dont you go down one in the front so you can play with Travis and Titty? :question:

:poke:

I just placed order with Service Honda for both sprockets air filters and 4 spark plugs. All part OEM. Front sprocket was $38, rear $69

Contact info below:

Questions or comments contact Chris G

1-800-828-5498 and ask to speak with Chris G

Or you can reach me through the web at

CHRISG@SERVICEHONDA.COM

Nik, FWIW... I went 30k before I changed my front sprocket and chain, and the front didn't look all THAT bad, although it was due. I've got that scottoiler, though, and that makes a huge difference.

I'm still running the same rear. No visible signs of wear on it, either.

I'd order you one from my local dealer that gives me a 25% discount.. but... they're out of business. IRS trouble, it seems.. :roll:

How much adjustment do you have left on the chain? If you still have adjustment left, I wouldn't bother with the sprocket, just keep the chain oiled and adjusted. If I absolutely, positively, had to change the front sprocket, I'd change the chain out as well. The rear sprocket will probably be good for the life of one more chain as the load is distributed over a larger area (more teeth).

-1 in front is quite lovely. The additional low end is nice. Too bad it only tops out at 169mph on the dyno now. :roll:

Rich

172 on the gps :wink: :grin:

nik, by the time you ride again your post count will be higher than your mileage :shock: .

Now I'm pondering not changing the front yet.

Do you think it needs changing with 15k on it?

I put a new chain on in September that's what made me think of it.

Now I'm pondering not changing the front yet.

Do you think it needs changing with 15k on it?

I put a new chain on in September that's what made me think of it.

Change it anyways. It's a great bang for the buck change.

I needed to have one link removed from my chain also when I did mine.

Rich

Honestly Nik, with your size and massive bulk, switching to a 16 tooth front might give you an acceleration boost that you could really feel.

Reading up on these posts have me thinking of the switch. How much did your fuel mileage drop going down one? I wouldnt be worried about topping out at high 160's versus mid 170's :???:

I am probably going to have a new chain put on this spring anyway. The one on here uses a clip :bigshock:

I seem to remember being told to change the front and rear sprockets and chain all together as a group because a worn sprocket can reduce chain life.

Chain is typically good for about 16K miles max.

I'm getting ready to replace all again this spring now around 34.5K miles. My current second chain is in much better shape since I left it alone. The first one I was always adjusting and spraying and wiping and so on without any real benefit, but shorter life (Thanks for the tip Tim).

Reading up on these posts have me thinking of the switch. How much did your fuel mileage drop going down one? I wouldnt be worried about topping out at high 160's versus mid 170's :???:

Mine dropped significantly (15-20%) but I've also noticed I tend to ride it harder with the added acceleration, so I'm not sure how much is directly due to the gear change. If you ride it the same as before, the drop will be directly proportional tio the change in gear ratio. I think Carlos or Joe did the computation in another thread if you want th exact figure.

I think the front sprocket change from a 17 to a 16 is like 6% lower. If you ride at the same RPM and have the same throttle habbits, your mileage will drop 6%. To keep up with traffic or to do the speed you're accustomed to, your RPM's will raise 6%. I'm thinking mine dropped about 10-12% with the front sprocket, cause to do the same speed, the RPM's are higher and the farther you open the throttle, the more fuel it will burn obviously. I didn't buy my bike for the fuel economy, I bought it for the fun.

the decrease in gas mileage was minimal for me. As long as I keep it under 100mph for long distance road trips, i see mid-high 40 mpg. in town i still get well into the 30's. But honestly, if i wanted good gas mileage, i would have bought a 600.

I certainly don't care if my bike will only do 169 mph now. so what. I do like the fact that it does 0-100mph much quicker than before and the added torque is quite lovely. Next is going up on the rear sprocket.

Rich