CBR1100XX.org Forum

12,000 miles... bleed the clutch

TrentXX

Reading through the manual of service tasks, I noticed that the clutch fluid is to be blead at 12K miles and I had missed it before. So I decided to handle this with the Honda brand DOT 4 stuf and a hand vacuum pump in a brake bleed setup. I had a lot of trouble getting just fluid to come out with the vac pump. I dicked with the bolt and pump but couldnt get just fluid to flow, lotsa air getting sucked through (from around the bolt threads I presume. So I reverted to the old method of squeezing the clutch handle and then loosening the bleed bolt and tightening it up at the bottom of the pull, repeat, fill with fluid, repeat until I was satisfied. That worked real good. There was a few small shards of metal flake and grit that came out too. I am impressed that the feel of the clutch is more precise now. I am shifting a little smoother. Any one with some clear tubing and 20 minutes could crank this right out. If you have missed some shifts or caught yourself not being silky smooth with your shifting lately it might be worth the effort.

Trent

Ignore mileage, change ALL brake/clutch fluid every other year, or sooner if getting too murky.

And yes the clutch and brake action will be better. :grin:

I don't even have a vacuum bleeder, never had a problem doing it the pump way. Just don't let any air in at the master cyl.