CBR1100XX.org Forum

Carb Sync

JB4XX

My 1997 XX has 21k on it. I bought it with 14k.

Dont know if they have been synced.

How often do they need to be synced?

Is this something I can do myself?

Papa Joe? Anyone?

You will need a synch tool ie. carb sticks, and some fittings for the vacuum ports. If you have had the carbs off for jetting they need to be done. The screws are PIA to get to and it takes a little time to get them just right.

Motionpro makes a great set of tuning sticks, very easy to use. With 14K miles on it I would defintely tune it, I do my ST every year and find it's of by a bit, especially true if the dealer has ever messed with tuning. I find the bike idles and transitions MUCH better after synch'ing the carbs... as for my Bird, got me an FI version so YMMV.

Steve

I went in halfs with a buddy on some motion pro carb sticks and did it my self after a a re-jet. It took some time but i just went slow and made the adjustments and before I knew it I was done. It does make a difference.

Unlike the valves who don't need to be adjusted that often, the carbs tend to go out of sync fairly regularly. That's normal maintenance and shouldn't be a concern.