CBR1100XX.org Forum

Newbie with questions

RQ

Greetings all from across the pond in Ireland. Came across this site on a search for info on the Bird. Have been running VTR1000 Superhawks for three years now, and it's time for a change.

I have a few questions if some of you have the time to throw a few answers out over the next few days.......

The CCT issue, is it as prevelent as it seems? On the VTR it is a major issue, needs replacing on regular occasion, and if it goes, the engine is a write off!

The bars, I notice that some of you change to the Viffer bars, and it seems more comfortable. The comfort factor is one of the reasons I am changing, so I don't want to get a machine that will land me back at square one again, my wrists are bad enough from the VTR without doing it again on the next bike!

FI v's Carbs............ the eternal question. The answer I need here is from someone that had a carb, and went to FI.... is it as good as it seems? is it all it's cracked up to be? If I had two similarly priced Birds in front of me, one FI one carbs, which would be the better buy.

Power Commanders, if the bike has FI, are power commanders worth fitting, or is this a bit like "To jet or not to jet?"

And the open ended question, what should I realy be watching out for when looking at a second hand bike?

Thanks in advance guys :wink: ,

I'll take a stab at this one.

1) The CCT isn't that big a deal, is mostly a sound issue and not a failure part. The stock CCT sounds like marbles bouncing around at certain RPM's, the X11 CCT takes care of it. It's not necessary, but it does make it sound a little better. Well worth the $40-$50.

2) The bars are an issue for me, but I came from a cruiser directly to a bird. I just raised mine up and turned them out a little so it was more cruiser-style, but the guys on here with real raised bars from another bike or purpose built ones love them. I'd like to have them, but that's too much money for me.

3) FI versus carbs. I've heard this both ways, which one to get. My theory is FI is less work. No jetting issues, no "rich in high altitudes" problem, no choke when it's cold. FI is a little more jerky (aka changes to throttle position are more noticeable) but in my opinion, it is well worth the trade-off. Some people say you get better mileage with carbs, some say you get better mileage with FI. You'll have to see for yourself. Me personally, I will never own another carbed bike.

4) Power commander. Completely not necessary. I have had a full system on my 99 since it hit it's 600 mile break-in with no power commander (although I recently bought one but have yet to install it). You do not need it on this bike. Now if you do get one, you will notice slight power increases and it makes the bike more tune-able, but if you get one buy one used and save yourself some money.

5) There is nothing specific you need to look out for when purchasing a used XX. We don't break stuff, the bikes require almost zero maintenance, and they will run forever. After all, it is a Honda. The only thing that you really need to know (other than whether or not it's been crashed) is the maintenance schedule. Air filter change versus mileage (every 12,000 recommended but some of us stretch that), spark plug change (same as air filter), check the brake pads and rotors for uneven wear or scorching, ask the mileage on the chain and how often it's oiled, simple stuff like that. I have over 30k miles on my bike, and the only non-wear item I've had to replace was the rear brake switch, and it was a total of $9. Heck, I'm still on the stock clutch and I race mine fairly often.

I've got to ride the SuperHawk and found it fun but not all that refined. It has BEAST power but this hurt me when facing facing as the front wheel would come up all too easily. Fun bike for playing around town adn showing off but the Bird is FAR beter engineered, refined, easy to ride for distance, and more unique (at least on this side of the ocean...)

Now to your questions:

CCT - it's not a big deal at all. I chose to replace mine, for nothing more than piece of mind, and it cost me about $55 and took all of about 10 minutes to replace. It should never be a consideration whether to purchase the bike

The bars - I try to frequent them when I can. I try to go to the ones where there's both men AND women unless it's a football play-off game then it's better if it's all fans, with the exception of large breasted hoochies serving me brews. I also try to go during happy hour as the prices are much more to my liking, I hate waking up the next morning with a bad hang-over plus seeing the tab of +$100 for the drinks.

As for the Bird bars - I have a bone stock bike, purchase about 2 years ago. Since then I've put on 14K miles (I know it's not enough). I am 6'3" tall (don't know how many stones that is) but I've found this bike VERY comfortable with not a thought of changing it's comfort. The only thing I've done was to raise them a bit and bend them back and this has been fine for daily rides up to 10 hours.

FI versus Carb - That was very easy for me. Here in S. Cal we ride at varying altitudes often... from sea-level up to 9K feet. I only wanted a FI bike for these reasons. FI gives you better performance at differing altitudes, it's far easier to maintain, often gives beter gas mileage (usually about the same as a tuned carb Bird on this bike) and requires zero tuning.

Hope this helps some...

Steve

Furbird, Steve, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Seems like I'll be changing to a Bird so! I have my local dealer lending me one for a few days to make up my mind, and then I'm buying one somewhere else! (my dealer is too expensive, I can save about €2500.00 by going elsewhere)

You have also made up my mind regarding fuel injection too. Yesterday it didn't reach over 2 degrees C where I am, and the Hawk was a b1tch to run with the carbs, and the fuel are cold.

The CCT worry is over too, with the Hawk, you have to take off the cam covers, undo the shafts and springs, and then replace the tensioner (otherwise it has been known to jump a cog and cause havock!) I have done three changes in as many years and I'm tiring of it!

Again, thank you for the information, and I'll probably be back within the month with a Bird sitting outside the office!

BTW, is there a downloadable service / parts manual available for the Bird?

I did go with the 2002 and newer VFR bars, and I even have them raised on the fork tubes. Now I'm comfortable. It might be the ZG ST shield I have on blocking too much air so it doesn't push me up.

I have carbs and have no problems with them. Turn pilot screws out 3 turns from seated and drill slide vac. holes out to 7/64ths. and runs great without a jet kit.

I put on a X1 tensioner and no probs. since.

I would like to ride a VTR 1000. Never rode one. :cry: Don't run into them too often. I'm trying to get my buddy off his Buell and onto a Superhawk.

Oh the VTR is a cracking bike. You can fire it around the place, it quite light. It is 24kgs lighter than the Bird.

Amazing power delivery all through the rev range, and generally great fun!

Thanks for all the replys guys, I'm downloading the manual now. First attempt it failed, but in an hour or two I should have the full copy!

Roll on the weekend when I collect the loan Bird!

The FI versions also have a slightly larger fuel tank a higher output electrical system and a slightly smoother gearbox IIRC. Having said that you can't go wrong with either. They are both extremely fine machines.

I saw some sweet pics of slick panniers on a couple of pages, I just can't find them today, it was two Birds, side by side together in a driveway, a black one and a gun grey one. All I can get from the plate is "354 140"

Who makes those panniers, and are they readilly available?

Got the manual downloaded, perfect. Have the same edition on line for the Hawk too.

Looks like it should be the FI model I'll get. As long as it is in good nick when I see it on Sunday, it sounds like the biz.

Again, thanks for all the help guys, I'll keep you updated, and hopefuly I'll be able to contribute to the site with info I can share, not just take!!

Those "panniers" that you are wondering about are made by Corbin. They are called beetle bags and fit and flow nicely with the lines of the bike. They don't hold as much as a Givi setup, but look better if you're into that kind of thing. Someone on here has the beetle bags along with a Givi top case and it looks real good.

If you haven't already, try these sites

www.ozblackbird.net / www.superblackbird.co.uk /

For hard bags my preference is for Givi b/c they snap on/off easily, they have a back rest and you can hard wire a brake lite into the top box. I find this an excellent safety feature. I've travelled 65,000 kms mostly touring and with the bags on. Also if you travel with a partner there's plenty of space for stuff, she can lean back, and even rest hands on the side bags. I like to bring a bike cover to hide my ride and keep off the dust, morning dew, and the top box is good for keeping wet weather riding gear and camping gear in. All that being said Give does change the appearance of the bike and it's "love it or hate it or just live with it. I haven't owned as many bike as many of the peeps on this site only a Harley and that said my preference is for FI. I also use Heli Bars and I have no complaints, other do. I've had my cct changed twice, no problem.

As you circumnavigate the Bird sites you'll find a plethora of info, most of it excellent, often conflicting, occasionally condescendidng, and frequently comical directed to insiders, which I am not. Use the seach engines for info on tires, oil, tweeks, suspension, the list is endless. From the UK site you'll encounter a chap who runs a company called Jaws. He is very knowledgeable and helpfull and has a excellent company. As for my Bird I run Two Bros C5 Titanium slip ons, PC iii, dynoed, Corbin Gunfighter Lady, highly recommended by me, Heli bars, Givi full set up, K&N, Amsoil, Bridgestone 020's, Motul coolant, Motorex dot 4 brake/clutch fluid, and I use Crystal-Glo cleaning and waxing product. If I ever replaced my ride I'd mostly likely go to BMW but I love the Bird and If you're a fan of the Brit mags TWO/RIDE/BIKE, you'll know how highly rated the Bird is when compared to other litre bikes and sport touring bikes. And of course if you spend too much time on these web sites you really know how folks feel about their Birds. I guess now I'll have to sit back and wait the the usual flack that seems to accompany the posts I submitt. Ceo Buy that Bird you'll never regret it :!:

Well gents, I had a Carbed one for the weekend, and I don't wanna give it back!!

Amazing power delivery, smooth, comfortable, very quick (so quick that the police speed checkpoint that I passed doing over twice the speed limit didn't even bother, as they knew they didn't stand a chance). Brakes are amazing too. They are like ships anchors.

I test drove a FI version too, and its a goer. Deal is done and I collect it next weekend. Blue, '98 (but is an Italian import and has all the mods of a '99 double rear light, FI, and all the other jazz.) No other extras except for a scottoiler.

I'm sold on it.

I concur with what most of the guys are saying about the xx. Furbird commented that you don't need a power commander on this bike and he's right... "you don't know what you don't know" If you do install one, you won't be able to ride without it. The xx is smooth and fast. Add the power commander and it smooths out even more, better throttle response, and more of a kick in the ass off the line, though you'll probably only net a few extra ponies.