CBR1100XX.org Forum

F4I shock for my Bird ... XX, IT F EN FITS ||||| :)

HERBXX

I just got in from mocking it all up and it all fits, i just have to figure out how to mount the shock resevoir, and im going to have to make a custom preload wrench to get at the preload adjuster, but its going to worK!!!!!!

I was pretty sure it would but i'm always scared till the bolts go in !!!!!

BEER TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin: :grin:

Some pics of the f4i shock I'm building for my bird.

I have got the spring, made the new upper perch, modified the

resevoir so it can be refilled, and took a guess at valving the shim stack. I also surfaced the valve body for a better seal with the shims(sorry no pics as i assembled the stack before I got th camera) Its about ready

to go together now.

left to right , xx spring.f4i spring, ebaich 1092 lb/inch for f4i

dscn00924sm.jpg

shock internals

shiney ring at the right is homemade top perch

modified end cap in the middle for preasure fitting

extreme right is am extra valve body and extra shimms

dscn00959nm.jpg

I think the 929 shock is shorter so you would need a new dogbone, or mabe to build some new triangle plates .

I have a 929 shock (under bench first pic) and can take some pics of it VS an xx shock in 2 or 3 weeks when I get my xx shock out. I not real motivated with the weather in my area this time of year :sad:

The reason i used a f4 shock is so i didn't have to deal with a hard mounted resevoir and f4 shocks cost 5 to20 bucks each on ebay. I prettry sure this is going to work, but until i get it bolted in im only 98 percent sure.

Herb

left to right

XX 318mm center to center

F4 (stock length, custom spring 305

929/954 284

I would say my measurements are accurate within 1 mm.

The f4 mount has about 11mm more thread than the XX, so i should be able to make shim of something and it should mount up. The coolant tank might not be happy sitting 13 mm lower , so that might take a bit of

playing but im sure it can be worked out.

dscn01426cy.jpg

good use of spare spring

dscn01415dz.jpg

Instead of shimming, why not just make a new upper mount?

Have you ridden a stock bike with a shimmed rear end before? It turns much better, so that means you'll have to add 19mm of shim to get the same effect.

Thanks for the idea !!!!

I havent ridden a shimed one yet . I welded a 1/2 thick block with the 10 mm hole in it on top of the f4 mount i had . There is still enough thread to shim it later if i want. Its like building a new mount but with out the hassel

I have to make a a provision for the coolant resevoir mount , but i think i got it . Ill post another pic later

Herb

Im not sure demon, i will most likely hold on to it i dont have much in it and it costs me more in postage to get them from the states then they are worth. I can alway use it for spare parts . I have a friend with a 954 ,

so also that might need it eventually

You should be able to find one on ebay cheap. Im curious what you are planning on doing with it ? Putting it in your XX ?

Yea, I was thinking about putting one on my XX. I can make a new upper mount that is 40mm longer than stock. That would be the 34mm for the difference in the shock plus another 6mm for the handling. I'll probably look for a 929/954 shock locally. Just wondering if you were gonna get rid of it. I'd rather get one from a board member rather than get one from a stranger.

I can either make a new upper mount or make some new triangles at the bottom. Currently I have an adjustable dogbone but don't know if it has enough adjustment for raising it up enough. It was designed to lower the bike but will raise it as well.