CBR1100XX.org Forum

Battery Dies In 15Mins?

TechnoGecko

Went to start the bike this morning and the battery is dead. It seemed like it was getting weaker in the last day or so. Its not even three weeks old, so I'm guessing the R/R went.

If I throw it on the charger it starts right up on a dime. But if it sits without the charger on it for more than about 15 minutes the battery is totally dead again.

Am I safe to assume the R/R went?

Yes, sit as in not running. If the engine is running the bike runs fine without any problems, but if it sits off for any period of time it goes dead fast. The battery is brand spankin new, so I'm kinda at a loss here for ideas. I checked the harnesses, didn't see anything wrong. I picked up a replacement R/R today for $70 and installed it. Going to let the battery charge overnight and see how it holds up tomorrow. I'll let ya know...

Joe knows alot more than I do, but I don't think the stator or the R/R is really not in the cicuit when the bike isn't running. If the battery goes dead that fast just sitting (assuming a full charge to begin with) then, I think a direct short to ground somewher is draining the charge.

If the battery is dying in that short of a period of time and the bike is not running, you have a choice of two possible problems. Here is how I would approach it. First, make sure that the battery is fully charged. Then, disconnect the battery leads completely, from the bike. Let it sit for 8 hrs, 2 hrs, whatever amount of time that it would normally be dead. If the battery is still fully charged, you have a problem on the bike with something causing the battery to drain (something is grounded that shouldn't be). The second scenario is if the battery has discharged while NOT hooked up to the bike, and that means that you've got yourself a defective new battery. Something internal in the battery. Sometimes, they will be dropped while shipping or handling them by someone and the internal plates will actually short together. Nothing you can do about this situation except take the battery back and get a new one (hopefully it is warrantied). Hope this helps

*nod* I'm going to take a look at it later, but right now I've got a ton to do today and this upcomming week. Like I said, the battery is brand new so I'd like to think its not that. Is it possible? Sure, but if it were internally shorted I doubt it would have lasted the last two weeks.

Either way, I've got some testing to do....

Well the battery was history. The Honda dealership replace it for me free of charge. Thanks Western Honda! :) I replaced it and it seems to be working ok for now, but we'll see. Its got a new R/R and battery, so if it still does it it's not an answer im going to like! :)

Mabye the R/R did overcharge and nuke the battery...

I picked up my replacement R/R from Bob's Used Motorcycle Parts in Phoenix.

http://www.dexonline.com/servlet/ActionSer...esultForm=BASIC

Cost me $75 I believe for the R/R. They've got a ton of bike parts, just about everything I could ever imagine. Great guys too, very helpful.

before you insert the new battery, I would examine the electric rectifier,

must he between 13,5 and 14.2 V to bring otherwise is the new battery

also equal again, that stink after putrid eggs comes from the

overheating of the battery, shows normally that the electric rectifier

not right works.