CBR1100XX.org Forum

Whats gone wrong?

nightcruiser

Hi all,

Today my 2000 FI blackbird developed this most weird fault?

Everything electrical you switch on puts the FI light on?

The indicators cause the FI light to flash.

The brake lights does the same.

But when you put the headlights or side light on the FI light stays lite.

Apart from this annoying issue, the bike still runs mint and as not changed in any way.

I did the usual fault code check and nothing was found or stored.

So i guess there must be a short curcuit somewhere?

I spoke to a mechanic friend that worked at a Honda dealership.

He said that the VFR800 suffered from this problem but never seen a Bird with it?

Saying the VFR800 problems was caused by the wiring loom rubbing on the main frame causing to wear the loom out and short on the frame.

Your assistance in the matter you be a great help as i haven't a clue where to start looking.

Thx,

Dave.

Sounds like the dreaded 99-00 loom problem. Mine (2000) went a few months ago. Cleaned up the block but it started again last week, so I hardwired it yesterday and problem solved. I reckon it all depends on which half trained techie taped it to the loom after the bike was initially set up as to how long it survives before you start getting the problem.

The block doesn't show on any wiring diagram, it's just used to check on the electronics when the bike is first built then just taped up never to be used again so there is no harm in cutting the block off and fixing it properly

Another link is http://ixxra.co.uk/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/vie...opic.php?t=2816

:shock: Cheers guys.

It sure looks like my Blackbird is suffering from this dreaded fault.

This is dis-graceful, as i've just checked my V5 out.

My bike was only registered in May 2001, so being out of warranty its not worth moaning at Honda. But i feel i should?

So it looks like the loom going to have a bit of surgery tomorrow.

Thanks for all the links and information anyway.

I will post a reply when i have checked it out.

The only thing i can say is, its a good job i'm a little handy with vehicle electrics or this could cost a fortune to put right.

Speak soon.

Thanks,

Dave.

Dave, sorry forgot to mention, the loom IS covered by a 5 year warranty and if you get it confirmed by a dealer you can get it replaced Honda.

Depends on the dealer as to how easy, some keep fobbing you off "wait until it dies permanently to confirm it "etc. Couldn't be bothered to mess around so did it myself, least I know it's right.