CBR1100XX.org Forum

"factory" jet kits and stock pipes(Question added)

bartonmd

I have picked up a factory configuration 10 jet kit for cheap for the XX. This is the one that cleans up the flat spot around 5k right? Anybody have this with factory exhuast and any idea on gas mileage drop from it?

Thanks,

Mike

I have the Factory kit in my bike, but with 2bros slip-ons. My mileage stayed about the same. Bike feels better though.

I can imagine if it's jetted and tuned properly, you shouldn't see a decrease of mileage. I think...

If you've got the stock exhaust and air cleaner just open the pilot screws 3 turns and drill the slide vac. hole to 7/64th of an inch. (this is part of the jet install anyway). No flat spots for me. I took my jet kit out. I lost 10 MPG. from it.

It was a dynojet kit. I used the DJ 136 main and their needles just like the instructions said. I had the carbs out for adjustment at least 6 times and dynoed before and after. I DID lose 10 MPG with it.

On the dyno it showed a slight increase in a narrow band in the mid range, something you would never notice seat of the pants. The kit also gave a different flat spot that I couldn't get rid of with any adjustment.

I finally removed it and sold it to someone on this list.

In my opinion Honda did a good job with the EPA and all.

Like I said, drilling the slides so they react quicker and opening the pilot screws to 3 turns gives good throttle response, got rid of the flat spot, without any MPG penalty.

The wrench that installed my jetkit said Factory was the way to go, and he hated DynoJet. Don't know the specifics of why. It had something to do with overall power.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a drop of 2-5 MPG, but I don't really care, still look for gas around 180 Miles just like before. Anyway, if you buy the Factory kit, just change out the mains to match the European setting (up 1 size across the board) and then bump up the pilots. Move needles to Factory's advised setting and you will be set. This will also allow you to throw on slip-ons and not have to change anything. Just my $.02

MaXX

Mac,

When you say to bump up the mains to the euro setting, what size is that, do you remember? The kit only comes with 2 #142 jets because it already has 2 142 jets in it from the factory. So do you mean replace the 2 140's with 142's or do you mean to go buy the size right above 142?

Thanks,

Mike

If you look at a 1997-1998 shop manual, it gives you the US and European Jetting. I think it is bumping all 4 (so 140's, become 142's and 142's become 144's...) I don't know. I will have to check. I was just asked this in a PM and I can't remember what exactly it is. I need to respond to that PM too.

MaXX

• 4 weeks later...

OK... looked in manual (factory Honda manual) and couldn't find jetting settings for Europe like Maxx was talkinng about... any help with this?? I immagine it's 2 x 142 and 2 x 144, but the Factory kit comes with 2 x 142, 4 x 145, and 4 x 148.... I could use the 2 x 142 on the sides and the 2 x 145 on the center, but don't want to go too rich if what I really need is 144's in the center (although I don'tknow that 1# would make much of a difference)

Maxx, do you remember if you had to go buy jets or if you just used the ones that came in the kit??

Thanks,

Mike

Edit: I am running a K&N drop-in (came in bike) and the factory pipes with a 1" hole drilled in the baffle just FYI

A 1" hole in the baffle :shock: What's that sound like?

In the book they list it as 49states/Canada type for the jets. I assume they don't change the jetting for Europe also.

Strange thing with the Dyno jet kit, they dispensed with the smaller size jets for the center cylinders. It IS liquid cooled.

It's quieter than slip-ons actually... kindof like stock, with just alittle bit more growl (if you heard Byrdman's bike before he took them off, they're from him).

The Factory kit also only comes with just 2 142 jets and says to put them in place of the 140's and leave the 142's in the 2 that came with them. I don't know, but it looks like the reason for them being like that is the air box and the shorter stacks on the side cylinders... maybe they don't get as much air as the center cylinders.

Mike

don't hit back and refresh??

Anyway, I ended up just running 142's on all of them... runs NICE!!! no more flat spot or anything... I did have to take the tank and airbox back off because I did a full throttle up to about 10k in second and chopped it real quick... apparently since I put it back together, and I hadn't ridden long enough to get fuel up and lubricate the slides real well just yet... it stuck a slide pretty much all the way up. I tried to get it to happen again and it didn't so I immagine it's cool. oh well...

Mike