CBR1100XX.org Forum

Just how good is the 900RR shock??

bartonmd

I have a chance to pick one up for pretty cheap and am curious as to how good they actually are??

1. How good is the damping for the extra weight of the XX?

2. How easy is it to adjust preload?

3. How much does it cost to rebuild?

4. How good compared to Ohlins? (I know the RR doesn't have the remote preload adjuster)

I've seen threads on this before, but they were awhile back and I am curious as to if anybody has ridden both.

Thanks,

Mike

Yup, what they said. Sent mine into Traxxion Dynamics, the guy called & gave me the "what am I supposed to do with this POS???" lecture, but he was cool about it. To do the shock right, you'll be a couple hundred away from a real shock. I love my Penske--really changed the bike.

Do your maths..

But in Australia, I got one bought, fully rebuilt, shaft rechormed, new Eibach spring (950lbs)and installed for under half an White Power/Ohlins. And I am here to say that I love it!!

Preload is stepped, just buy a wrench for it from your Honda dealer (cost me AU$6) compression damping adjustment is a God send. Rebound for my 90kgs is on the softest (and OK) compression is about half way down If I could have got the Ohlins for a 2 or 3 hundred more I would have...

Hope that helps

An f4 shock is 12mm shorter but and easier to come by , I have got 3 for

about 20 each. I think there is that much extra thread on the uppermount. I have just disassembled the f4 shock and it has the same valve body as the XX shock, at least as close as i can measure the ports.

The shim stacks are quite differents as you would expect. I just spent an hour measuring and rcord ing the f4 stack. I will do the xx tommorrw

i was getting tired stareing at the vernier.

I have a 929 shock too , but i havnt taken it apart yet.

Im planning on using something close to the xx stack in the f4 shock,

with a liitle less compression and mabe at bit more rebound for the heavy

spring im getting . I have about 300 cdn in this project including 100 for a

new spring. Im going to use a 1030 lb/inch spring

Herb