CBR1100XX.org Forum

Slight hesitation...opinions needed.

swampdonkey

Hey all...have a '97 w/ about 11k on it. I've not had the bike too long, maybe 6 months. If I crank the throttle at lower rpm's I notice a slight hesitation for a split second.

Suggestions on the cause? I am not overly well versed on bike repair but will learn as I go. Might look at having a Honda dealer or someone w/ experience take a look. Any decent people/places in WA that you could recommend to take a look.

Thanks much!

-Scott-

Scott, if you have an aftermarket pipe and a jet kit, you may want to fatten up the pilot jets one size. I have a Factory Pro Jet kit and they suggest the pilots, but not required. I rode it for awhile and under 3,000 RPM's I had horrible throttle response and part throttle was a mess. Added the pilots and it corrected right up. Keep in mind though, through your deler or honda, the Keihen jets are like $13 a piece. I bought mine through a performance shop for about $20 for all 4. Just an FYI.

MaXX

Has the hesitation been there since you bought it? If not, check to see that your pilot jets (low speed jets in the manual) are not plugged. Also, have you changed plugs? At 11,000 miles, it's time.

The bike is original...there are no mods that I know of. I sort of noticed the hesitation initially but it was not until I got used to the bike and began to crank it on more that it became clearer. Plugs were changed at about 10k.

Thanks for the info!!

Cheers...-Scott-

My bike is all stock in the power dept. also.

Remove the carbs and on the bottom are the pilot screws. They actually have D shaped heads so you won't mess with them. Find a way to turn them then turn them in till they lightly bottom then turn out 2 1/2 turns.

My bike, set up this way has no hesitation and no flat spot at 5k rpm.

It sounds like you've got the classic, stock dead spot at 4-5K rpm. A Factory jet kit properly installed will clean that hesitation right up!! Ask Tim or Santiago how much it helps!!

Let me know if you need any help with it.

Alan

thanks for the info...not sure I am up to the task of doing it.... would like to try but don't want to get midway and realize that I am lost. i'll try and find someone more versed and see if they'll work alongside me during the installation.

-scott-

If you want to PM me I'll talk to you sometime about your symptoms, make sure this is what you really need, and see about maybe getting together to help you out and save you some serious $.

Alan

Thanks for the offer Alan...and to Tim for the thumbs up on Alan. I'll take the bike out and acquire some better info on the hesitation.

Cheers...-Scott-