CBR1100XX.org Forum

xx wont start

HgXX

sadly my XX sat out in the rain over night

the next morning i tired to start it and it just kept turning over

back fired a few times and almost started but it was a no go.

i trickle charge the bat tried again with no results

i'm stock except for the 3bros and pIII

anyone have any ideas?

... a leaf blower/air compressor would speed it up. It'll be tough looking for what sounds like a water-impacted short in the start/ignition system when everything is wet. Dry something out and then test it; you'll find it through process of elimination. Pay close attention to your kill switch. If it was running fine before its prolonged bath... the water is going to be the culprit.

if it backfired at all it may not be the kill switch. (not ruling it out just saying it MIGHT not be it). Check all your fuses. Is it an FI model.

Try this.

Turn the key off and the KILL SWITCH on the right handle bar OFF.

Turn the Ignition switch on. Everything should light up, but the fuel pump should be silent.

Turn the KILL SWITCH on. Pump should spool up and the FI light should go out.

If it doesn't then the kill switch is wet or bad or the fuel pump fuse is blown. There is also a relay located near the fuse box. One is for the Engine stop circuit and the other is for the Fuel cut circuit.

With a screw driver handle, lightly tap both relays with the key and kill switch in the on position. Realys can become stuck or frozen in humid or wet conditions.

If it does spool then its your ignition (spark).

Check the rest of your fuses to make sure you didn't miss something.

Ensure the bike is in nuetral (this bypass the nuetral start safety circuit for the clutch and kickstand).

Try to start the bike.

If it doesn't fire your going to have to get a little more indepth.

Lift the tank and pull the #2 plug wire (easiest to get to). Now either get an old plug or pull the plug from the motor. Put the plug in the end of the plug boot (just like it would normally be if you were placing it in the motor)

CAUTION the has a potential to shock you.

With the plug resting on the valve cover engage the starter and check to see if you have spark.

Spark - most likely your injectors are not firing = bad ECM (computer) as the injectors are controled directly from the computer.

NO spark - This could be a multitude of things. Bad coils (pull another plug like number three and check again). Plug wasn't grounded correctly. Ignition pulse generator or cam pulse generator is bad (more indepth tear down). The ECM is bad as both coils recieve power from the computer.

Hope this helps a little

Had something similar happen to me here... It's normally parked in a covered area, and tucked away so it starts just fine when I'm leaving home. About two weeks ago, I went for a ride and parked it, and it pissed down hard for a few hours.

When I went out to start it, it made the effort a few times, but the clock was reset, and it stopped turning over. Fortunately, I was at the top of an incline, so I pointed her down hill and bumped her going, no problem. No problem since then either...

My guess is there's a fuse set or switch somewhere on the left side that is exposed to water after a while, and this is only related to the starter. Wasn't there an issue in the UK about certain models that needed a wiring harness something or other on the left side replaced???

Since I'm not commuting by bike anymore, it's less of an issue, but since it's happened once, I'm gonna be more careful!

My guess is there's a fuse set or switch somewhere on the left side that is exposed to water after a while, and this is only related to the starter. Wasn't there an issue in the UK about certain models that needed a wiring harness something or other on the left side replaced???  

Thats the useless connector/diagnostic block fault that just applies to 1999-2000 injection models.

Worth a check and a clean up just to make sure though, the fault usually starts with just a flickering FI light then gets worse and affects other things until it finally dies and won't start. Might have been ready to start playing up and the downpour speeded it up.

Details/Pics on it are at http://ixxra.co.uk/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/vie...opic.php?t=2816