CBR1100XX.org Forum

Just installed Conti. Road Attacks.

Pete in PA

Just installed Warchilds used Conti's, Got them at a great price. :wink: Thanks.

Since it's raining now I'll wait to ride on them.

Will start out at 51K miles on my odo.

They went on with no quirks, maybe a little easier than other tires. I did hear pops when airing to seat the beads, just a little quieter than usual.

Rear needed no weight, front 1/2 oz. There are no marks on sidewalls to indicate where light spot is.

I'm starting out at 5/32nds front and 6/32nds rear. Warchild said about 500 miles on them. LOTS of chicken strips showing. :poke: Rear slightly squared off already.

Only problem I see will be the cold temps I'll be running at. Will have to break in and warm carefully.

I'll get back with a ride report when it dries up. :bike:

I just got my ContiForce II's on the road about 2 weeks ago. You want to know how long it took to break them in? One 1/4 mile pass up my road sweeping side to side. Fastest scrub-in I've ever had on a tire. Stickiness? Did a stoppie after less than 10 miles. Wet weather traction? Rode it today in sprinkling rain (as we all know the worst kind) and no issues, even at medium throttle in sweepers. Wheelied after less than 5 miles. I got about 10-11k out of my last ContiForce rear, so we'll see how well these ContiForce II's hold up.

Couldn't do the Road Attacks after that horrible write-up on this site.

How in the hell do you get 12K miles out of tires with talks of wheelies and stoppies :?:

Why am I cursed with 4.5K out of rears?

Have you run any other tires so I can directly compare?

I've run 020, Z6, 46, 205, ALL GET 4-5K MILES ON THE REAR!

The front Z6 I just took off went 8500 miles till bald.

Talk to me!

Pete, it's either your roads, your air pressures, or your weight.

I do wheelies, speed a whole bunch, and carry a passenger a lot of the time.

I still managed to get 6K from my Avon 36, and almost 9K from my AV46. I know there was a difference in the compounds on the 46's, with you having an early release, and me late.

A lot of the miles on the 46 are commuting miles, with long trips and weekend blasts thrown in there as well.

Unless you're running a lot of twisties every weekend putting a lot of heat in the tire...

If that's the case, you're a lucky bastard, and I hate you :evil:

Well my roads and my weight I know about. I've played with the air press. and stay at 42 front and rear. any lower and bike looses that light cornering feel. Lower press. didn't gain me mileage anyway.

I don't get in the twisties EVERY weekend but as often as possible. :grin:

Maybe I'll try another set of Avon 45/46's. Heck I haven't even turned a wheel on the Road attacks yet, still raining. Damn huricane remnants. :evil:

I got like 12k out of the factory D205, then about 5-6k out of my first ContiForce (only because I did a 1 minute long circle burnout and killed it), then 10-11k or so out of my last ContiForce. Most of my riding is straight up. I've been to the Gap once, but there's just not a lot of curves around here. Still had about 1/8th inch of chicken strips on the tires, except for the one that went to the Gap :twisted: And yes, that's with wheelies, stoppies, burnouts, drag racing, and any other hooliganistic acts you can think of. I'm no lightweight either, as I weigh 240#'s. I don't know why I get such good mileage, but I'm not complaining. I've had such good luck with Conti's on the bird I will never buy anything else.

It certainly doesn't hurt that I can buy a set for less than some people pay for just a back tire :cool:

Furbird, what press. do you run?

When I've looked at the Contiforce I always thought it didn't have much tread for a new tire. Do you have a tread depth when new?

I've got another 40 lbs. on you, can't see that burning up my tires THAT much more.

Just trying to go through all the possibilities. Tires are KILLING me.

BTW: 1 minute circle burnouts are what you do right before pulling rear wheel for tire change. :wink:

I measured my Conti-Force rear. It measured .250" deep brand new on the bike. I thought I'd give it a go since Furbird does so well with them. So far I like it, but I've got a ways to go before I know how it will last for me. I have not ridden it really hard yet but I think that will change tomorrow.

I've got about 3000km on my Road Attacks . I don't have any concerns so far. Grip is great. Got about 1/4" chicken strips. Love em.

Of course I'm probably not quite as agressive as some of you. I got over 18,000 km out of a set of Pirelli Dragon GTS. :shock:

Thanks for the tread depth Scott. I did get a kick out of the .250 though. I knew this was 1/4" but still didn't know how much this was in 32nds.

8/32nds is a normal depth. I geuss it just looks shallow. I've noticed this on some late tires. They have wide tread which makes it look deep but it really is the same.

In my line of work we don't use fractions. Tolerances are way too tight. Thats just a measurement from my trusty old Mitutoyo 6" Dial Calipers. They have not been calibrated for about 6 years though (no Metrologist in my garage) so they may be off by .002" or so. That coupled with my measurement inconsistancy may have it off by .005" total. For you carpenters out there that 5/1000 ths of an inch (or 1 RCH) . :poke: :mrgreen:

My ContiForce Max's didn't look anything like that, even after 6k miles and a 1 minute burnout :shock:

It gets worse.... this rider is only a moderately assertive rider, and he claims no burnouts on this tire; just a looooong tour that resulted in him having to limp home on these steel cords.... :shock:

Guest rockmeupto125

Thanks, Scot......always wondered about that.

5/1000 ths of an inch (or 1 RCH)

Now I know there is .002 inches space between my teeth....

I've got Conti-Force on right now with about 6200 miles on them and I still have tread depth in the center. I can probably get another 1K out of them depending on how I ride. I felt comfortable enough with them to go for a full set since the front has over 12K on it now and it's time to replace it.

RODE ON ROAD ATTACKS.

Only 45 degrees F. today with almost no sun, but wasn't raining so out I went.

Started at 42 PSI front and rear cold. After 150 miles rear at 47, front at 45.5.

Because of the negative threads on these tires I approached them with a lot more then the usual trepidation.

Tires were great! Ran route 125 and a couple other twisties I frequent. At 50 miles I was down to 1/4" chicken strips on the rear. At 100 miles none on rear and less then 1/4" on front.

Tires very neutral and responsive, 100% feedback, like riding on finger tips. Tried to get them to do something bad, couldn't. From 100MPH sweepers to 20MPH switchbacks, stuck like glue. Even had the front off the ground while still exiting a corner.

The only unknown will be mileage.

As far as the horror stories from others, I can only geuss that maybe in hot temps they go away. Will be a long time before I get them out in 90 degrees F.

• 3 months later...

Update: With 1500 of my miles on them, (Warchild said he put 500 miles on them) I'm at 2/32nds in the middle. NOT GOOD.

Been e-mailing back and forth with Greg Reich at Conti. He doesn't even recommend the Contiforce on the XX, just the contiforce Max and the Road Attack.

He said the Road Attack is their highest mileage tire to date.

He is surprised at my low mileage, (of course) says in their testing and with reports form Europe, they get 5-8K miles.

The front is doing great can still read the molded in words "Road Attack" in the center of the tread.

I'll run them in the Spring till I see cord on the rear, then I think I'll put on a Michelin Pilot Road, the only ST tire I haven't run.

I'll run them in the Spring till I see cord on the rear, then I think I'll put on a Michelin Pilot Road, the only ST tire I haven't run.

Sorry to hear about the terrible mileage out of the Road Attack. :sad:

I'm really pleased with the Pilot Roads so far. They seem to be wearing well and

they stick very well for my style of riding (aggressive, but not a knee dragger). I

think you'll like them.