CBR1100XX.org Forum

Got a nail in my rear tire.... help!!!

Obby

Anyone know how to repair a nail in the tire? Can I just use that car repair whole puncher thing that comes with a stickey licorice looking stick thing? Am i making any sense at all? :cry:

Also, does repairing the tire compromise the speed rating? I'm running Metzler MEZ4's.

Help!

well, there are some widely varying opinions about plugging tires.

many on the board are against the idea- they plug tires only to get them to a garage where a replacement can be installed.

others have no problem running plugs and maybe just dont push the bikes quite as hard.

whenever i had a puncture, depending on it's location, (never ever plug a sidewall) i've ridden a few days with a plug and then replaced it at the first opportunity.

there are a few threads on here that might help you, but i didnt search them out.

hope this helped.

brc

I've plugged M/C tires before and never had a problem. How much rubber left? If it wouldn't last the season anyway, then maybe look at just replacing it.

Oh I would imagine the tire is compromised. you now have a hole in the belt, a good place for it to start to separate. If you were to plug it, My guess is that you would have to keep the speed a little lower, check the pressure just about every morning, and look at replacing it pretty close to the wear bars.

edited to add: Make sure it's all the way through. a lot of times they bend lengthways to the tread. If not, just pull it out and you're good to go.

I've run a plug HARD on tire. Only for a few days, but it held fine.

I just slopped a bunch or rubber cement on the plug and shoved it in... trimmed the excess down close and it was fine. Only put on 500 or so miles on it, but I rode it the same as I would have if there wasn't a plug. No problems...

Others will not trust plugs, but...

Look out. Here it comes :kicknuts:

Personally, I would replace the tire at me earliest opportunity. I guess I’m a wimp and safety cop...That said, when I bought my Valkyrie Tourer (very big and heavy), it had a new rear tire on it. I put 1,200 miles on it the first three weeks I had it including lots of high speed runs and some very rough road conditions. I rode it hard. And then I saw something funny on the rear tire, a plug. The way the Valk was set up, you could only see a bit of the rear tire from the back and it took me three weeks to notice it. I guess the knucklefuck wrench who put a new tire on it, test rode it and picked up a nail, and so plugged it. Fact is, the tire was strong (and had lots of tread left). I'd ride on a plug again, but I'd start tire shopping right away.

So I guess I’m useless and have just argued both sides of the coin.

And Nik, aren't you supposed to be gone by now? Gawd I wish I was going.

Thanks for all the info folks. I've been riding for 20 years and never had a flat if you can believe that. When I saw a nail squarely in the middle of my new rear tire and the pressure at 20lbs. I freaked :shock: . I called a couple of shops and they said they didn't repair tires. Anyways, I guess I'll try a plug and keep an eye on it. Can I just go to a Automotive Shop to get the plug or do I need a special motorcycle type?

Thanks, Obby

I like to keep things in perspective. My life on the bike depends on my tires (among other things). To me, it's not worth a trip to the ER (or worse) to save the price of a tire ($150 or less).

If I plug a tire, it's only for the ride home or to the nearest new tire store. If I were to repair a punctured tire for a longer duration, I would remove the tire from the rim and patch it from the inside. YMMV.

You can use a $3.00 tire plug kit from your local Auto Parts store. I just bought one last week for my Car.

Personally, I have a plug kit as an emergency. As was said if you want to keep using the tire then it should be patched fron the inside. I have run on rear tires with plugs for over a 1000 miles with no problem but I am always aware of its presense. No confidence in a pluged tire and would not do any hard riding. For commuting it will probably be fine till you get to the wear indicators but just be careful.

For alittle over $100.00 it is worth replaceing ASAP.

It's not only the expense for me. Most of the shops I wouldn't trust with repairing a washing machine. Plus scheduling the time to get it done. I usually do all the work on my bikes for that very fact. If anyone screws up, I prefer it to be me :cool: . I do have a nice place that does my tires, but they don't repair tires, just replace them. They mainly deal with high-end race bikes. My bird is primarily my commuter now-a-days (25miles each way on the highway). I think I'll try the plug an monitor the tire for a while. I never get to open her up anymore anyways. 75-80mph tops :evil: Traffic sucks!

John, Thanks again for the X11 CCT I got from you a while back. Just put it in and the bird sound/runs a hundred percent better :wink: . Amazing the difference. Rattling sounds are all but gone, along with some vibration. The bird is humming silky smooth like a Honda should.

If you haven't already done it with a car plug kit (BIG hole) I would buy a motorcycle kit. It's amazing in all the years of riding---this is your first nail----that is very very fortunate. My last 3 out of four rear tires have picked up a nail within the 1st 1k miles. So I plugged---but take it comparitivly easy.

The motorcycle plug kits come with smaller, better shaped plugs, cement, and cylanders of compressed air---to get you going. Great thing to have along if you dislike being stranded.

Everytime this comes up I say the same thing- I had a plug let go on me once, and that was enough. I have a motorcyle specific tire plugger (mushroom type) under my seat, for emergencies. Straight home, replace the tire.

No more plugs for me, period. Just my $.02 :)